Undefeated Record Ends Despite Chances

Port Talbot Town 1 – 2 Rhyl

Chad Bond returned to the starting line-up for manager Nicky Tucker’s first home match in charge of the side and Port Talbot got off to the worst possible start when Rhyl raced into a two goal lead inside the opening fifteen minutes. Martin Rose had already hit the bar from close range before Rhyl broke away on the left and Craig Jones opened the scoring for the visitors from close range. Port Talbot battled back and Lee Surman came close to equalising from a corner but a foul on the edge of the area by Leigh De-Vulgt gave Mark Connolly the opportunity to double the lead and he did so in style with a well taken free-kick passed Kristian Rogers.

Port Talbot remained positive in their play despite this double set-back as Rose and Bond caused problems for the Rhyl defence with a number of strong runs into the area with Dylan Blain and Liam McCreesh offering support from midfield. Surman again came close from a corner but Port Talbot could not reduce the deficit before half-time. Scott Barrow came on as a second half substitute and made a strong play for his place back in the side with a number of strong runs from wide as Port Talbot continued to pressure the visitors. Lee John almost scored with a great chance but his effort went over the bar from close range. McCreesh also came close while Rose and Bond continued to cause the home defence problems.

Port Talbot forced a number of corners but could not find a way past Lee Kendall in the Rhyl goal until youth team striker Sam Baker was brought down in the area to win his side a penalty. Martin Rose stepped up and made no mistake with the 90th minute spot kick but it was not enough to stop Port Talbot suffering their first home league defeat of the season. Manager Nicky Tucker will take plenty of positives from a dominating performance by his side despite the result but will be disappointed that his side could not make the most of their chances in front of goal.