Thomas Nets In Old Gold Cup Draw

Port Talbot Town 1-1 Carmarthen Town

A number of changes were made by both sides for this Loosemores Solicitors Challenge Cup match. Although the result made no difference to the group standings, both managers were keen to use the game to continue their recent run of form ahead of the weekend’s league games. Captain Matthew Rees and midfielders Liam McCreesh and Neil Thomas were left out of the Port Talbot Town squad while Martin Rose and Drew Fahiya were both named on the bench. Former Port Talbot Town duo Craig Hanford and Craig Hughes were also left out of the squad by Carmarthen Town manager Deryn Brace. Despite the changes the game started at a quick pace with Carmarthen edging the possession but struggle to create many real goalscoring opportunities while at the other end the tireless work of Daniel Thomas on his return from suspension provided Port Talbot Town with their best chances although the deadlock was rarely close to being broken.

Port Talbot’s best chance of the half fell to defender Gary Bansor but his free header in the area sailed high and wide. The first goal arrived on 31 minutes when Carmarthen defender Mark Dodds headed a ball over the top of the Port Talbot central defenders for Tim Hicks to run onto and slot past Lee Kendall to hand his side the lead. Port Talbot were back in the game two minutes into the second half however as Daniel Thomas found himself in space on the left and slotted a well taken strike past goalkeeper Neil Thomas for the equaliser.

The game became a more competitive affair after the second goal as both sides went for a confidence boosting win. The arrival of substitute Martin Rose offered Port Talbot another attacking option but neither side could find a way past their opponents defence as the game ended a draw to complete the group stage of the competition and move Port Talbot Town into the quarter final stage.

6th October 2009 –

Match Report

With the hosts having qualified Town and the Steelmen shared the points. Both sides made changes from the weekend and Tim Hicks put Town ahead just after the half hour when Dodds headed back a Port Talbot long ball for the front man to run on and play it past keeper Lee Kendall.

Daniel Thomas, returning from suspension, equalised for the hosts straight after the break but Town Manager Deryn Brace was relatively pleased with the outcome as Town looked to build some form. “We made a few changes and we played well in patches. We’re up to three games now and that gives us some confidence. I know we’ll have to do better at the weekend but that’s a different game”.

Loosemores Solicitors Challenge Cup Group 1

Tuesday, 6th October 2009

at The GenQuip Stadium, Port Talbot

Port Talbot Town 1-1 Carmarthen Town


Port Talbot Town

Daniel Thomas (47)

Carmarthen Town

Tim Hicks (31)

Referee – Mr Kevin Morgan

Port Talbot Town

Team – Lee Kendall, Andy Boslem, Scott Barrow, Gareth Phillips, Gary Bansor, Lee Surman, Lee John, Leigh De-Vulgt, Daniel Thomas, Nicky Holland, Lloyd Grist

Subs – Martin Rose (rep John – 71), Drew Fahiya (Unused), Karl Lewis (Unused)

Yellow Cards – Lee Surman (40), Andy Boslem (50)

Red Cards – None

Goalscorers – Daniel Thomas (47)

Carmarthen Town

Team – Neil Thomas, Richard Hughes, Dyfan Pierce, Nicky Palmer, Mark Dodds, Kris Thomas, Sacha Walters, Tim Hicks, Paul Fowler, Ben Morris, Mark Pritchard

Subs – Deryn Brace (Unused), Neil Smothers (rep Fowler – 74), Alex Squires (rep Dodds – 82)

Yellow Cards – Sacha Walters (37)

Red Cards – None

Goalscorers – Tim Hicks (31)

Attendance – 111