Steelmen On Course For Big Cup Challenge

Aberystwyth Town 0-2 Port Talbot Town

Manager Mark Jones named an unchanged starting line-up for this Welsh Cup match and his side enjoyed the better of the game to claim a deserved win. Port Talbot started brightly with Drew Fahiya and Martin Rose testing the Aberystwyth defence but it was Liam McCreesh who opened the scoring when headed home a corner from Scott Barrow after just 5 minutes much to the delight of the large travelling support. Port Talbot continued to push forward and midfielder Neil Thomas twice came close to extending the lead but his long range efforts both went wide of the post.

Aberystwyth were restricted to a couple of half-chances on the counter-attack but rarely troubled Lee Kendall in the Port Talbot Town goal. Port Talbot started the second half the same as he first and extended their advantage on 50 minutes when a foul on Scott Barrow handed Port Talbot a free-kick on the edge of the area. Leigh De-Vulgt reacted quickly and placed the ball in the far corner of the net to double his sides lead. Martin Rose could have added to the scoreline midway through the second half but his header from close range was saved by Aberystwyth goalkeeper Stephen Cann. The home side eventually created a few clear chances for themselves with striker Graham Evans twice coming close but could not direct his efforts on target.

A penalty appeal from the home side after a foul on Glyndwr Hughes by Karl Lewis was waved away by referee Dean John although Port Talbot remained dominant in possession and could have added to their lead before the referee brought the match to a close. It was a comfortable victory for the visitors who had the backing of the clubs entire junior section together with a large travelling support.

1st February 2010 – Evening Post

Steelmen on course for big cup challenge

Port Talbot cruised into the quarter-finals of the Welsh Cup with a brilliant 2-0 victory over Aberystwyth Town at Park Avenue. With more than 200 supporters urging them on in a bumper crowd of over 500, the Steelmen were on fire in the opening minutes. Martin Rose had already been denied by the bar with a firm header from Scott Barrow’s free-kick, before the Steelmen went ahead in the fifth minute. Barrow’s pinpoint corner was pumped invitingly to the unmarked Liam McCreesh, who rose to nod home. From that point the visitors were in total control, confounding predictions of a close encounter. Neil Thomas fired wide, then saw his header well held by home keeper Steve Cann before McCreesh’s header suffered the same fate.

But five minutes after the break, Port Talbot doubled their lead due to quick thinking defender Leigh de Vulgt, who stroked home a free-kick before the defensive wall was fully formed. It could have been 3-0 but Rose’s header from Drew Fahiya’s cross hit Cann and rebounded to safety. Graham Evans did his best to inspire the hosts, but Lee Kendall thwarted his point-blank effort, leaving the visitors to see out the win with some comfort. “The lads were magnificent and I was delighted with the quality of our play,” said Port Talbot boss Mark Jones.

“This was a big result for us as Aber are above us in the league. We bossed the game from beginning to end and I want to thank our supporters. It was fabulous that so many travelled and they were superb and gave the boys a big lift. There was a fantastic atmosphere and that inspired us to win comfortably at a ground where it is never easy.” Port Talbot now head to The New Saints in the quarter-finals.

31st January 2010 – Wales on Sunday

Steelmen’s extra mettle ends Aber’s cup dreams

Aberystwyth crashed out of the Welsh Cup after finding themselves well shackled by Port Talbot at Park Avenue. Goals at the start of each half from Liam McCreesh and Leigh de Vulgt saw The Steelmen march into the last eight at the expense of last season’s beaten finalists. It was set to be a close-run thing in this fourth-round battle between two sides in the top five of the Welsh Premier, but the visitors ran out convincing winners against the Black and Greens.

In fact, Port Talbot never looked back after taking the lead on just five minutes when McCreesh, with eight league goals this season, added to his tally when nodding in from close range following a corner. Aberystwyth, who had defeated their rivals in the league earlier in the campaign, rarely looked likely to repeat the feat as they struggled to a find a way back in front of a 500-plus crowd, their best first half effort coming from debutant Ryan Fraughan. While their hosts were struggling to carve any clear chances, Talbot were on top for the majority of the first period, with Neil Thomas twice going close and McCreesh missing another opportunity from close range.

The Steelmen, looking well organised and strong throughout, tightened their grip six minutes after the interval when de Vulgt curled home a free-kick inside the left corner of the net. Aber did end the game with a flurry with a couple of late efforts, Luke Sherbon attempting a lob and, after one of their few flowing moves, Graham Evans’ shot was parried to safety by keeper Lee Kendall. The Black and Greens also had a late penalty shout turned down, but by then it was too little, too late.

30th January 2010 –

Talbot take control as Aber limp out of Welsh Cup

Visitors Port Talbot left Park Avenue convincing winners in this Welsh Cup Fourth Round tie, scoring goals early in each half to earn a 2-0 win over below par Aber Town. On a cold and bright afternoon, Port Talbot took the initiative early after a competitive start when Aber failed to deal with a corner and Liam McCreesh pounced from a few yards to head home. Talbot were on top for the majority of the first half, with Neil Thomas twice going close and McCreesh missing another opportunity from close range.

Aber’s one meaningful effort came from impressive debutant Ryan Fraughan, but his free kick was saved by Lee Kendall. If the hosts were glad to go into the break only a goal down, then just six minutes into the second half the gulf widened as Leigh de Vulgt curled a free kick from outside the area into the left hand corner of Steve Cann’s goal. Martin Rose then missed a sitter from close range after a cross from Drew Fahiya, and Aber ended the game with a flurry, as Luke Sherbon attempted a lob, and after a lovely move Graham Evans’ shot was parried to safety by Kendall. Aber also had a late penalty shout turned down, but in truth there was only ever going to be one winner in this game, and the Steelmen deservedly progressed to the Welsh Cup Quarter Finals, in front of am impressive crowd of 506.

Welsh Cup 4th Round

Saturday, 30th January 2010

at Park Avenue, Aberystwyth

Aberystwyth Town 0-2 Port Talbot Town


Aberystwyth Town


Port Talbot Town

Liam McCreesh (5)

Leigh De-Vulgt (50)

Referee – Mr Dean John

Aberystwyth Town

Team – Stephen Cann, Joel Richardson, Gareth Hughes, Aneurin Thomas, Sion James, Ryan Fraughan, Geoff Kellaway, Bari Morgan, Graham Evans, Luke Bowen, Luke Sherbon

Subs – Steve Bowen (rep Richardson – 46), Glyndwr Hughes (rep Morgan – 46), Tom Bowen (Unused)

Goalscorers – None

Port Talbot Town

Team – Lee Kendall, Leigh De-Vulgt, Lloyd Grist, Karl Lewis, Matthew Rees, Lee Surman, Drew Fahiya, Neil Thomas, Martin Rose, Liam McCreesh, Scott Barrow

Subs – Lee John (rep Fahiya – 75), Daniel Thomas (rep Barrow – 86), Nicky Holland (rep Rose – 89), Gareth Phillips (Unused)

Goalscorers – Liam McCreesh (5), Leigh De-Vulgt (50)

Attendance – 506