Steelmen Edge Closer To Chasing Pack After Superb Five-Goal Display

Port Talbot Town 5-0 Porthmadog

Defender Lee Surman missed this Principality Welsh Premier League match with an ankle injury as Gary Bansor was brought into the starting line-up. Manager Mark Jones was also without the suspended Liam McCreesh for the visit of Porthmadog but his side soon took control of the match as Neil Thomas opened the scoring after just four minutes after an excellent run form Scott Barrow on the left. Five minutes later Port Talbot were two goals ahead as Martin Rose doubled the advantage with a well taken goal. Port Talbot remained dominant with Porthmadog offering little and constantly lost possession through their own mistakes as the home side controlled the game.

The third goal would not arrive until just before half-time as Lee John and Scott Barrow combined well from a corner and Barrow was able to score from close range on 44 minutes. The second half started the same as the first with Lee Kendall a virtual spectator as Port Talbot caused a number of problems for the visitors with their pace in attack. On 57 minutes Martin Rose scored his second of the game as manager Mark Jones made a double substitution as Nicky Holland and Drew Fahiya were brought on. Fahiya caused the visitors further problems and came close to scoring before Karl Lewis scored the sides fifth goal of the afternoon with an excellent shot from the edge of the area.

Fahiya and Rose both came close while Daniel Thomas was brought on to further add to Port Talbot’s attacking edge but after coming close with a series of chances they were unable to increase their advantage. The frustrations of the visitors came to a head as goalkeeper Richard Morgan raised his hands to Martin Rose in an off the ball incident that was missed by the match officials before referee Wayne Tregonning brought the match to a close to earn Port Talbot a convincing three points.

7th December 2009 – South Wales Evening Post

Steelmen edge closer to chasing pack after superb five-goal display

A brilliant display of all-out attacking football earned Port Talbot an emphatic 5-0 victory over lowly Porthmadog at the GenQuip Stadium. The Steelmen are now within one point of third-placed Rhyl and have a game in hand so the push up the table is gaining momentum. This was Port Talbot’s fifth successive victory and with matches against Bala Town and Cefn Druids to follow before the two massive Christmas clashes with Neath, Mark Jones’s side are a big threat to the top teams. The tone of the match was set in the fifth minute when Martin Rose brushed aside a challenge from Porthmadog central defender and captain Ryan Davies.

The striker looked up and saw Neil Thomas unopposed at the far post and his inch-perfect delivery gave Port Talbot an early advantage. From that point, the Steelmen dominated the physical side of the game in a controlled and disciplined fashion as not a single yellow card came their way. Rose beat keeper Richard Morgan five minutes later with a cool finish after visiting full-back Euron Roberts backed off the challenge only six yards out. Scott Barrow made it 3-0 on the stroke of half-time with a rasping drive and Rose and Karl Lewis — his first of the season — added others after the break. Rose was set free by impressive Neil Thomas and Lewis blasted a fierce shot through a crowded penalty area. Afterwards, Jones saluted his players. “That was a superb, dominant performance and we are really starting to get there,” he said. “I thought we were excellent and there were big performances from Scott Barrow, Matthew Rees, Gary Bansor and Neil Thomas. “But all 14 were at the top of their game. Remember, Porthmadog won 3-1 at Carmarthen two weeks ago so that puts this result into perspective.” But Jones remained quiet on his side’s title ambitions and European hopes. “I don’t want to go there with so much of the season remaining,” he added.

7th December 2009 – Western Mail

Match Report

This result does not portray the entire picture as Porthmadog were fortunate not to return north with a double-figure hiding. From the fifth minute when striker Martin Rose easily rebuffed a weak challenge from visitors’ central defender and skipper Ryan Davies to set up the opener for impressive Neil Thomas, the scene was set. Porth defender Euron Roberts stood off Rose, only eight yards out, and the striker crashed the ball past Richard Morgan for the second in the 10th minute.

And John Keegan was caught napping, dithering to clear and was lucky not to be more heavily punished. All this inside the opening 15 minutes. The visitors were simply outclassed and Port Talbot’s only problem was a slight lack of composure at vital moments. But they are a formidable outfit as visitors’ boss Tomi Morgan acknowledged. “It was a long afternoon for us and we were lucky to escape lightly,” he said. “We started badly, conceding two very bad goals and our recent two wins are now but a distant memory.” Port Talbot manager Mark Jones, celebrating a year in charge at the GenQuip Stadium, constantly urged his side to go for the jugular to improve their goal difference. He smiled on his way down the tunnel at half-time after Scott Barrow made it 3-0 with a rasping, left-foot humdinger and looked on with pride as Rose netted brilliantly from an acute angle after the break and Karl Lewis rammed home his first of the season from 25 yards.

“It was a really good, dominant and powerful performance and that’s 15 points out of 15 from our last five matches,” Jones said. “With Bala and Cefn Druids to follow, before we meet Neath in the Christmas double-header, we must press on and put further pressure on the top teams. “It could have been a lot more today, but what I have told the lads is that Porthmadog won at Carmarthen a few weeks ago so it puts the result into perspective.” Jones refused to talk about titles and Europe, however. “I don’t want to go there. There’s an awful lot of football still to be played this season,” he added. But if Port Talbot continue to remain free of injuries and suspensions their small squad can cope but if the tide turns they could run into troubled waters. With Liam McCreesh and Lee Surman missing and Daniel Thomas, Nicky Holland and Drew Fahiya on the bench, however, they have a squad to be reckoned with.

7th December 2009 – Daily Post

Morgan is not happy

Porthmadog endured a longer-than-usual journey home from Port Talbot, as they reflected on their worst show and result of a worrying season. With their Welsh Premier status at risk, Tomi Morgan’s men are very much caught up in the relegation struggle and must start to pick up points soon. Boss Morgan said: “We did not help ourselves by being so poor because it was the worst performance and result of the season so far, and we have no excuses.” Porthmadog’s pain began with an early goal from former player Neil Thomas, who finished off from close range after Scott Barrow’s assist had exploited a poor clearance. The home side’s four other goals came at regular intervals with a double from Martin Rose, and one apiece for Barrow and Karl Lewis. Luckily for Porthmadog a host of other chances went begging.

6th December 2009 – Wales on Sunday

Steelmen crush their North Walian rivals

Port Talbot kept up their challenge to the league’s top three clubs with an emphatic victory over Porthmadog at Victoria Road. They were in a different class to the North Walians and they could have scored more had they taken all the chances they created. It took the Steelmen just five minutes to go in front, Neil Thomas moving on from the left to strike a great shot past Richard Morgan in the visitors’ goal. The next goal arrived five minutes later when top scorer Martin Rose hit a screamer from the edge of the box to double his side’s advantage. Port Talbot were on the score sheet once more before the half time whistle, Scott Barrow hitting a shot from the edge of the box that found the net through a crowd of players. Substitute Daniel Thomas and namesake Neil went close to adding to the home tally before Rose struck again in the 57th minute. And the Steelmen rounded the day off when Karl Lewis blasted a shot through a clutch of players to find the net for the fifth.

5th December 2009 –

Match Report

This was a game that Porthmadog would sooner forget as they were outplayed by a Port Talbot team who controlled the game throughout. Before ten minutes was showing on the clock the home team were two goals up, and with another following on 44 minutes they had the game sewn up before the interval was reached. They went on to add another two goals in the second period to confirm their complete domination of the afternoon’s proceedings. Without Richard Morgan’s heroics in the Porthmadog goal the margin of the defeat would have been even greater.

When an early shooting opportunity for Mike Thompson was quickly snuffed out by prompt defensive action, travelling supporters could hardly have imagined that it would be another 30 minutes before their team would test Port Talbot keeper Lee Kendall with any kind of shot again. In their first real attack the home side took advantage of a misjudgement by Porthmadog skipper Ryan Davies for Scott Barrow to race clear down the left, before dispatching an accurate low cross which left Neil Thomas with only Richard Morgan to beat, and this he did with a low shot from 8 yards. Port Talbot did not have to wait long for their second after only 9 minutes when Martin Rose fastened on to a throw-in down the left before cutting inside and from a narrow angle fired a low 10 yard shot past Richard Morgan.

Port Talbot continued to dominate and John Keegan had to clear a Neil Thomas effort off his line and Richard Morgan was required to pull off two fine saves, one a reflex save down at his near post to keep out Rose and again, when Scott Barrow got in behind the defence, the keeper needed to improvise and save well with his legs. But with half-time approaching the killer third goal came. A short corner on the right by Scott Barrow was played to Lee John who returned the pass for the winger to race into the box and fire a low shot inside the near post. The second half continued much as the first with Port Talbot controlling the possession and when Porthmadog did get the ball they were closed down quickly and forced into errors or hurried passes. With 12 minutes of the second half gone Port Talbot claimed their 4th goal when the excellent Neil Thomas further punished his former club, threading a ball through the defence for Rose to race on to and score his second of the match with an angled shot from 15 yards. When the 5th goal came after 65 minutes the travelling support feared even worse was to follow. The fifth came from a powerful low drive by Karl Lewis from 20 yards after a corner was only partially cleared.

The home side did not ease up and Rose came close with another angled shot and Lewis was only a whisker away with a long range effort. Richard Morgan continued to perform heroics racing off his line to halt Barrow and then pulled off two saves in quick succession while in the same attack Mark Gornall had to clear off his line. Porthmadog on the other hand had few attacks to show for their endeavours though one attack, following a good build up, freed Marc Evans down the left but Lee Kendall, who had been little more than a spectator, got down well at his near post. The only consolation is that the last five games at the GenQuip Stadium have been won in alternate years by each club in turn. This year was Port Talbot’s turn and they certainly made sure of that! Port need to pick themselves up quickly for a vital home game against Connah’s Quay next Saturday.

Principality Welsh Premier League

Saturday, 5th December 2009

at The GenQuip Stadium, Port Talbot

Port Talbot Town 5-0 Porthmadog


Port Talbot Town

Neil Thomas (4)

Martin Rose (9), (57)

Scott Barrow (44)

Karl Lewis (65)



Referee – Mr Wayne Tregonning

Port Talbot Town

Team – Lee Kendall, Leigh De-Vulgt, Lloyd Grist, Karl Lewis, Matthew Rees, Gary Bansor, Lee John, Neil Thomas, Martin Rose, Gareth Phillips, Scott Barrow

Subs – Daniel Thomas (rep N.Thomas – 72), Nicky Holland (rep John – 58), Drew Fahiya (rep De-Vulgt – 58)

Yellow Cards – None

Red Cards – None

Goalscorers – Neil Thomas (4), Martin Rose (9), (57), Scott Barrow (44), Karl Lewis (65)


Team – Richard Morgan, Euron Roberts, Mike Foster, Dan Pyrs, Ryan Davies, John Keegan, Chris Jones, Ceri James, Paul Roberts, Mike Thompson, Gareth Parry

Subs – Marc Evans (rep Thompson – 50), Mark Gornall (rep Foster – 64), Jack Jones (rep Parry – 71)

Yellow Cards – Euron Roberts (17)

Red Cards – None

Goalscorers – None

Attendance – 167