Rose’s Strike Seals Max Points

Port Talbot Town 1-0 Haverfordwest County

Manager Mark Jones named an unchanged starting line-up for this match and his side did not disappoint with a dominating performance against a side they had failed to beat at The GenQuip Stadium for five seasons. Drew Fahiya caused the Haverfordwest defence problems from the start with his pace and could have scored twice inside the opening ten minutes but his efforts went wide of the target. Neil Thomas was in commanding form in midfield against his former club and also came close to open the scoring midway through the first half.

Goalkeeper Lee Kendall had little to do in the opening half as the visitors struggled to compete against the pace in the Port Talbot Town side and their frustrations began to show with striker Tom Billing fouling Liam McCreesh just before the break. Port Talbot continued to dominate at the start of the second half and took a deserved lead when Martin Rose headed the ball home from a corner on 63 minutes. Port Talbot continued to pressure the visitors and Fahiya again came close but his effort was saved by Lee Idzi.

Haverfordwest substitute Josh Hartrick offered the visitors pace of their own but his influence was not enough to cause problems for Kendall in the Port Talbot Town goal. In injury time referee Neil Morgan caused controversy by awarding Haverfordwest a free-kick inside the area when he adjudged that Kendall had held onto the ball for longer than six seconds. Haverfordwest wasted the free kick however as Port Talbot claimed a well deserved victory which could and should have been by a few more goals.

6th February 2010 –

Match Report

Martin Rose grabbed the only goal of the match to secure a narrow victory for Port Talbot Town over Haverfordwest County at The GenQuip Stadium on Friday night. The Steelmen lost narrowly lost 1-0 at league leaders TNS last week, but returned to winning ways thanks to striker Rose’s 63 rd minute header after Haverfordwest conceded a free kick outside the box and Liam McCreesh whipped in a cross which Rose headed past a helpless Lee Idzi in the Bluebirds’ goal. This was the Steelmen’s 11th win of the season, while County slipped to their eighth defeat of the campaign and remain 12 the in the table. Port Talbot had the clearer first half chances as Idzi twice saved well from Drew Fahiya, Rose and then Scott Barrow.

At the other end, Lee Kendall had a fairly quiet period but did well near the break to parry a stinging left foot drive from Tom Ramuset but i t was always going to be a tall order for the Bluebirds to claim anything from the stronger looking Steelmen, who are one of the better teams in the Welsh Premier. The second period followed a similar fashion as former Bluebirds star Neil Thomas bossed the midfield for the Steelmen and he put a shot just wide before Lee De Vilgt fired a free kick wide of the far post. But a goal was bound to come and after Rose had given Port Talbot the lead they still had other chances, including a brilliant double block by Idzi to keep out Barrow and Fahiya. The Bluebirds best period came late in the game as Hartrick appeared on the right but Kendall was rarely under pressure, other than when he conceded a free kick in his own box, and Port Talbot eased through to take the vital points.

Principality Welsh Premier League

Friday, 5th February 2010

at The GenQuip Stadium, Port Talbot

Port Talbot Town 1-0 Haverfordwest County


Port Talbot Town

Martin Rose (63)

Haverfordwest County


Referee – Mr Neil Morgan

Port Talbot Town

Team – Lee Kendall, Leigh De-Vulgt, Lloyd Grist, Karl Lewis, Matthew Rees, Lee Surman, Scott Barrow, Neil Thomas, Martin Rose, Liam McCreesh, Drew Fahiya

Subs – Lee John (Unused), Nicky Holland (rep Fahiya – 79), Daniel Thomas (Unused)

Yellow Cards – None – Red Cards – None

Goalscorers – Martin Rose (63)

Haverfordwest County

Team – Lee Idzi, Terry Evans, Mark Dodds, Kyle Graves, Gareth Elliott, Kristian Griffiths, Jamie Bradford, Tom Ramasut, Lee Hudgell, Tom Billing, Steffan Williams

Subs – Nick Woodrow (rep Billing – 82), Chris O’Sullivan (Unused), Ross Jones (rep Bradford – 69), Josh Hartrick (rep Griffiths – 69)

Yellow Cards – Tom Billing (74) Red Cards – None

Goalscorers – None

Attendance – 227