Rose Blooms In Welsh Cup Win

Port Talbot Town cruised into the 4th round of the Welsh Cup with this comfortable victory over Welsh League Division One side Caldicot Town. Leigh De-Vulgt and captain Matthew Rees returned to the starting line-up after sitting out the midweek Challenge Cup win over Welshpool as Gary Bansor and Andy Boslem were named on the bench. Port Talbot started the better of the two sides and that was how it stayed for the remainder of the match as Mark Jones side forced the early pressure with a series of corners.

The Caldicot defence struggled against the pace of Drew Fahiya, Martin Rose and Lee John and it was no surprise when Port Talbot Town took the lead after 2 minutes. A corner from the left appeared to be curling into the top corner of the net but Caldicot defender Steve Edwards kept the ball out with his hand to earn himself a straight red card and Martin Rose made no mistake from the resulting penalty. Port Talbot continued to pressure the home side but could not add to their lead before the break as referee Paul Thomas booked a number of the home sides players for persistant fouling. Caldicot kept the scoreline to a single goal at the break and started the second half brightly without really testing Lee Kendall in the visitors goal.

The introduction of substitute Daniel Thomas offered Port Talbot Town another attacking option and his impressive performance put the game back in favour of Port Talbot and he added the second goal of the afternoon on 78 minutes with a fine individual goal. Nicky Holland and Scott Barrow were brought on to add more attacking options and after more sustained pressure Port Talbot added a third through Martin Rose with his second goal of the game.

1st November 2009 – Western Mail

Rose blooms in Welsh Cup win

Port Talbot avoided a potential banana skin with a comfortable 3-0 Welsh Cup third round victory over Welsh League Caldicot Town. Martin Rose put them in front from the penalty spot in the 20th minute. It came after Steve Edwards had been penalised for handball and was sent off. Daniel Thomas and Rose added to the tally to take them safely through to the fourth round.

31st October 2009 –

Rose blooms in Welsh Cup win

Caldicot went out of the Welsh Cup losing 3-0 to match favouites Port Talbot. Caldicot were holding there own up till the 20 minute mark but a controversial decision led to Steve Edwards being dismissed after he handled a corner that was glancing in. Edwards was guarding the back post when the ball came at him at head height and the midfielder instinctively put his hand up to stop the ball. The referee asked his assistant who confirmed that the ball had not crossed the line and so the red card and penalty award were inevitable.

Caldicot were understandably upset by this decision and were unable to regain there composure for some time after and gave away several free kicks that were all deemed bookable offences by the match official who was having a large influence in the game. To there credit, Caldicot were able to keep Port Talbot at bay for the rest of the half and so trailed 1-0 at the break. The second half was a calmer affair with the referee showing more constraint with his decisions but Caldicot were up against it with Port Talbot dominating most of the possession due the numerical advantage, extra quality and experience. Chances for the home side were rare and often from long range so Talbot keeper Lee Kendall had a quite day, however James Smallcombe at the other end was being severely tested but the Caldicot stopper was outstanding with assured handling a great reflex saves to keep the visitors at bay.

Tiredness crept in and Port Talbot worked the Caldicot defence well and were rewarded with a further 2 goals to see out the match in comfort. Good Luck to Mark Jones and his team in the next round where they have been drawn away to Aberystwyth Town. Mean while Jason Pritchard and Simon Wetter and all supporters at the game can be proud of how the boys performed whilst down to ten and have another cup game to look forward to next week when Caldicot host Llangeinor at home in round 2 of the league cup. A big thanks to all the committee and supporters who helped out in the organising of this event.

Welsh Cup 3rd Round

Saturday, 31st October 2009

at Jubilee Way, Caldicot

Caldicot Town 0-3 Port Talbot Town


Caldicot Town


Port Talbot Town

Martin Rose (20) (p), (88)

Daniel Thomas (78)

Referee – Mr Paul Thomas

Caldicot Town

Team – James Smallcombe, Dan Reberry, Peter Little, Gareth Haywood, Andrew Wenzel, Steve Edwards, David Lloyd, Richard Shonett, Gareth Cullimore, Jason Thorne, Mark Williams

Subs – Wayne Morley, Dominic Connor, Andrew Edwards, Kel Stevens

Goalscorers – None

Port Talbot Town

Team – Lee Kendall, Leigh De-Vulgt, Lloyd Grist, Karl Lewis, Matthew Rees, Lee Surman, Lee John, Gareth Phillips, Martin Rose, Liam McCreesh, Drew Fahiya

Subs – Daniel Thomas, Scott Barrow, Nicky Holland, Andy Boslem, Gary Bansor

Goalscorers – Martin Rose (20) (p), (88), Daniel Thomas (78)