Red Cards And A Late Winner Make It A Night To Forget For Boss Jones

Port Talbot Town 1-2 Aberystwyth Town

Manager Mark Jones suffered his first home defeat on Friday night as his side were reduced to nine men. New signing Tony Pennock replaced the injured Lee Kendall in goal while Drew Fahiya replaced Lee John who could only settle for a place on the bench and Karl Lewis returned in place of suspended Liam McCreesh.

The game hinged on a crucial decision from referee Dean John as he dismissed Port Talbot duo Drew Fahiya and Daniel Thomas within 90 seconds of each other midway through the second half. After missing a number of chances in a goal-less opening half, emergency signing Tony Pennock was called into action early in the second half as Aberystwyth were awarded a penalty but Pennock made a fine save from Luke Sherbon’s spot-kick. Martin Rose then scored his first league goal of the season on 53 minutes as Port Talbot appeared to be cruising to a comfortable win but controversy erupted on 66 minutes when Drew Fahiya was tripped inside the area on his way to goal.

John wrongly judged that no contact had been made and to add insult to Fahiya he brandished the former Dinas Powys striker with his second yellow card of the game for a dive. Assistant referee Kim Fisher stood within yards of the incident but offered no advice or support to John on what would be the turning point of the match. The decision added an edge to the match and within 90 seconds Daniel Thomas was shown a straight red card for retaliation after a tangle of legs inside the Aberystwyth penalty area. With a two man advantage Aberystwyth came into the game and equalised on 72 minutes through former Port Talbot Town striker Luke Bowen.

The nine-men of the home side worked hard for the last 20 minutes, with midfielder Neil Thomas covering the area of three men with a superb display in the middle of the pitch, but Aberystwyth scored the winner after sustained pressure deep into injury time through Geoff Kellaway. Manager Mark Jones was left fuming with referee John as a comfortable lead for the home side turned into a defeat and further suspension problems through a crucial wrong decision from the official. It was also Jones first defeat at The GenQuip Stadium since he returned to the club in December 2008.

21st September 2009 – Evening Post

Red cards and a late winner make it a night to forget for boss Jones

After looking on course for another promising points return, Port Talbot let slip a 1-0 advantage to crash to a last-minute 2-1 defeat to Aberystwyth Town at the GenQuip Stadium on Friday night. It was a match shrouded in controversy as Drew Fahiya and Daniel Thomas were both red-carded by referee Dean John within two minutes of each other, midway through the second half. Thomas’s dismissal was deserved, his petulance the cause as he flicked out a leg to make contact with an Aberystwyth defender who had dispossessed him. Fahiya’s was not so straight- forward, John adjudging that the player had dived to earn a penalty.

After his earlier yellow card, red followed. It was a decision that infuriated manager Mark Jones, who said: “Don’t get me wrong, Dean John is one of the best referees in our league, but he had a massive off night tonight. Drew is the last person in this club who would dive. “I don’t condone diving, but the lad didn’t dive. It should have been a penalty. Perhaps the Eduardo sending off put thoughts into referees’ minds and they are now looking for it more. The danger is in getting it wrong.”

Martin Rose put Port Talbot ahead with a calm 53rd-minute finish but minus two players, Port Talbot were hit by former player Luke Bowen in the 72nd minute, and Geoff Callaway (90) made it the cruellest of finishes.

Principality Welsh Premier League

Friday, 18th September 2009

at The GenQuip Stadium

Port Talbot Town 1-2 Aberystwyth Town


Port Talbot Town

Martin Rose (53)

Aberystwyth Town

Luke Bowen (71)

Geoff Kellaway (90+2)

Referee – Mr Dean John

Port Talbot Town

Team – Tony Pennock, Leigh De-Vulgt, Scott Barrow, Gareth Phillips, Matthew Rees, Lee Surman, Karl Lewis, Neil Thomas, Martin Rose, Daniel Thomas, Drew Fahiya

Subs – Lee John (Unused), Lloyd Grist (rep Phillips -74), Mark Jones (rep Rose -87), Sam Baker (Unused)

Yellow Cards – Daniel Thomas (20), Drew Fahiya (48), Neil Thomas (56), Gareth Phillips (73)

Red Cards – Drew Fahiya (66), Daniel Thomas (68)

Goalscorers – Martin Rose (53)

Aberystwyth Town

Team – Stephen Cann, Steve Bowen, Kristian James, Aneurin Thomas, Sion James, Adam James, Geoff Kellaway, Gareth Hughes, Luke Bowen, Luke Sherbon, Michael Waters

Subs – Robert Evans (Unused), Glyndwr Hughes (rep S.Bowen – 72), Cledan Davies (rep A.James -40)

Yellow Cards – Kristian James (17), Gareth Hughes (49) Red Cards – None

Goalscorers – Luke Bowen (71), Geoff Kellaway (90+2)

Attendance – 325