PTT Fail To Take Off

Drew Fahiya returned to the starting line-up for this difficult match at Airbus UK Broughton while Neil Thomas was named on the substitutes bench having missed the midweek defeat to Llanelli with a groin strain while Daniel Thomas and Liam McCreesh both missed the match through suspension.

Port Talbot started the better of the two sides and their possession brought the first controversial decision of the game from referee Carmelo Lo Faro as Drew Fahiya appeared to be brought down in the area but the official waved away the appeals of the Port Talbot Town players. With a strong wind behind them, Port Talbot pushed forward in numbers and forced a number of corners as the pace of Lee John and Scott Barrow caused problems for the home defence. Despite their dominance chances were few and far between for the visitors against former Port Talbot Town goalkeeper Kristian Rogers and the first save of the match was by Lee Kendall at the other end midway through the half as Marc Lloyd-Williams edged his way past Lee Surman to create enough space to have a shot on goal.

After a frustrating first half Port Talbot maintained the majority of the possession in the second half of the match and looked more composed in their attacking play but were let down by poor final balls into the area. Airbus caused problems of their own on the counter-attack but become more pre-occupied with the performance of the referee than on their game. Despite their possession Port Talbot again struggled to create many clear chances on goal as the strong win continued to make things difficult for both sides.

The match was brought to a close in controversial circumstances as referee Lo Faro sent off Airbus UK defender Matty Woodward. Following a Port Talbot offside decision, Woodward attempted to take the resulting free-kick but the ball began to roll from its place in the strong wind. After quickly retrieving the ball, Woodward was then shown his second yellow card of the match for time wasting much to the frustration of the home side.

14th March 2010 – Wales on Sunday

Match Report

With games in hand, Port Talbot went into their encounter with a top-three finish in mind and a place in Europe beckoning. But manager Mark Jones was left slightly downhearted following their 0-0 draw at Airbus UK as three points should have been well within their grasp. Jones was left to bemoan: “It was a game that was there for the taking really. “The windy conditions played havoc for both sides, but when you think our keeper Lee Kendall did not have to make one decent save in the 90 minutes, this tells it’s own story. We created plenty of pressure and in the opening half with the wind at our backs we forced eight corners and Martin Rose should have done better with two close range headers. I thought we had a great appeal for a penalty turned down.

From where I was positioned, Mark Allen clearly impeded Drew Fahiya, but the referee waived play on. As the game went on, the wind got stronger, but even playing against the wind we coped well and Lee John and Lloyd Grist both had chances to score. But full credit to Airbus though, they set their stall out to get a valuable point out of the encounter to achieve a top-10 finish so their manager Craig Harrison will be a touch happier than me. But rest assured, a European finish is what we’re aiming for.”

Principality Welsh Premier League

Saturday, 13th March 2010

at The Airfield, Broughton

Airbus UK Broughton 0-0 Port Talbot Town


Airbus UK Broughton


Port Talbot Town


Referee – Mr Carmelo Lo Faro

Airbus UK Broughton

Team – Kristian Rogers, Ryan Edwards, Rhys Roberts, Matty Woodward, Mark Allen, Ashley Williams, Jack Abraham, Danny Desormeaux, James McIntosh, Marc Lloyd-Williams, Giovanni Feliciello

Subs – Tom Rowlands (rep Feliciello – 87), Josh Johnson (rep Abraham – 82), Gareth Sudlow (rep Lloyd-Williams – 90)

Yellow Cards – Matty Woodward (37), James McIntosh (44), Rhys Roberts (74)

Red Cards – Matty Woodward (90)

Goalscorers – None

Port Talbot Town

Team – Lee Kendall, Leigh De-Vulgt, Lloyd Grist, Scott Barrow, Matthew Rees, Lee Surman, Lee John, Gareth Phillips, Martin Rose, Matthew Thompson, Drew Fahiya

Subs – Nicky Holland (rep Fahiya – 77), Gary Bansor (Unused), Neil Thomas (Unused)

Yellow Cards – None Red Cards – None

Goalscorers – None

Attendance – 127