PTT Ease Through To Cup Quarters

Neath 1-4 Port Talbot Town

Port Talbot Town went into this derby match needing just a point to secure a place in the quarter-final of the Loosemores Solicitors Challenge Cup and manager Mark Jones named an experimental side with Andy Boslem and Gary Bansor both starting the match as Leigh De-Vulgt and Gareth Phillips were named on the bench while Lee Surman sat out the match with a slight knock. Tony Pennock also returned in goal as Lee Kendall continues to recover from his leg injury.

Port Talbot started the far better of the two sides and that was how it remained for the entire opening half as Martin Rose and Drew Fahiya caused problems for the Neath defence and it was no surprise when Rose opened the scoring with well-taken goal after just seven minutes. Scott Barrow was replaced by Leigh De-Vulgt after picking up a knock on 18 minutes as the frustrations of the home side began to show. Neath goalkeeper Wyn Walters was called into action soon after to make a fine save from Rose but the striker scored his and his sides second of the match on 25 minutes when he was brought down in the area and converted the resulting spot-kick.

Five minutes later Rose should have been awarded a second penalty following a shove in the back as he jumped to head a cross but referee Darrn Adie waved away the appeals. Drew Fahiya then came close to extending the lead but his header was cleared off the line just before the break. Neath eventually called Tony Pennock into action early in the second half but on 55 minutes Fahiya found himself clean through on goal but drilled his shot wide of the post. The striker soon made amends however as he used his pace to twice find himself on-on-one with the goalkeeper on 60 and 62 minutes and converted both chances in style, the first with his left foot and the second with his right.

Substitute Nicky Holland had scored in the sides previous two games in the competition but his opportunity on goal hit the side netting on 79 minutes before Neath grabbed a consolation goal through Kieran Howard a minute later. It was too little too late for the side however as Port Talbot progressed to the next round with ease.

30th September 2009 – Western Mail

Match Report

Port Talbot eased through to the quarter-finals of the Loosemores League Cup with a comprehensive 4-1 victory over Neath at the Gnoll last night. The Steelmen cruised through on a night Neath will want to forget quickly after a catalogue of defensive errors came back to haunt them.

Martin Rose put Port Talbot ahead in the eighth minute and they never looked back as Rose doubled their lead from the penalty spot after 24 minutes. Then fellow striker Drew Fahiya made an impact on his return from suspension to find the target in the 60th and 63rd minutes, while Neath claimed a consolation nine minutes from time through Kieron Howard.

Loosemores Solicitors Challenge Cup Group 1

Tuesday, 29th September 2009

at The Gnoll, Neath

Neath 1-4 Port Talbot Town



Kieran Howard (80)

Port Talbot Town

Martin Rose (7), (25p)

Drew Fahiya (60), (62)

Referee – Mr Darren Adie


Team – Wyn Walters, Carlos Castan, Rob Folland, Sean Cronin, Ian Hillier, Ashley Evans, Stephen Pockett, Kieran Howard, Chris Llewellyn, Rob Spendiff, Matthew Harris

Subs – Liam Hancock (rep Hillier – 58), Luke Morgan (rep Evans – 70), Steve Davey (rep Llewellyn – 79), Richard Ingram (Unused), Craig Steins (Unused)

Yellow Cards – Rob Spendiff (6), Sean Cronin (39), Luke Morgan (70)

Red Cards – None

Goalscorers – Kieran Howard (80)

Port Talbot Town

Team – Tony Pennock, Andy Boslem, Lloyd Grist, Scott Barrow, Matthew Rees, Gary Bansor, Lee John, Neil Thomas, Martin Rose, Liam McCreesh, Drew Fahiya

Subs – Leigh De-Vulgt (rep Barrow – 18), Nicky Holland (rep Rose – 78), Gareth Phillips (rep McCreesh – 78)

Yellow Cards – None

Red Cards – None

Goalscorers – Martin Rose (7), (25p), Drew Fahiya (60), (62)

Attendance – 139