Port Talbot’s Women Break The Swans Streak

Courtesy of George Rees-Julian writing for Y Clwb Pel Droed

Featured Image: Aled Roberts (Facebook) / Aled Roberts (Instagram)

Port Talbot Town Women 0-0 Swansea City Women

A defiant Port Talbot ended Swansea City‘s perfect start to the season by holding them to a 0-0 draw at Victoria Road.

Swansea were reduced to ten players on the stroke of half time when Emma Beynon was shown a second yellow card in quick succession. They remained dominated throughout the game, but the Steelwomen showed their steel to deny the free-scoring Swans. Vicky Beddows shone between the sticks for Port Talbot, she made two crucial saves and raced off her line on multiple occasions to keep the visitors.

Swansea’s gap at the top has been reduced to three points as a result of the draw following Cardiff Met’s 7-0 win over Cascade Ladies. Port Talbot meanwhile are level on points with Abergavenny and Cardiff City in a three-way battle for third place. Swansea dominated from the off as they showed their quality by retaining the ball and playing dangerous passes behind the Port Talbot defence.

Most of their joy in the early stages came down the left as Ria Hughes and Katy Hosford linked up well. They almost scored in the first ten minutes when Chloe Chivers played in Hosford who cut it back just behind the path of Laura Davies. Port Talbot were forced into an early substitution when Lauren Amor went down injured following a tackle from Emma Beynon. She was replaced by their new signing Jodie Passmore to make her debut for the Steelwomen, against one of her former sides. The hosts defended well in the first half and limited the Swans to shots from distance, which never tested Beddows.

After a succession of fouls in the first half-hour, Swansea’s Emma Beynon was shown a yellow card. Swansea’s best chance of the half fell to Chivers who raced in behind the PTT defence but fired the ball straight into the hands of Beddows. On the brink of halftime, Swansea were reduced to 10 when Beynon was shown a second yellow card for a late tackle. With their player advantage, the hosts dominated in the opening minutes of the second half.

They failed to turn their dominance into goals and almost paid on the hour mark when Hosford raced in on goal. She had time and space to shoot but Beddows was able to keep the scores level once again. Swansea reasserted their dominance after that chance however Port Talbot’s defence continued to frustrate the league leaders. Kelly Adams had a chance to score when Beddows’ clearance fell to her feet on the edge of the box.

Port Talbot’s defence able to close her down and prevent Adams from firing into the empty. The hosts hearts were in their mouth with 10 minutes to go when Beddows went down clutching her leg. Losing their goalkeeper late on would have been a massive blow after she played an integral role in their brilliant defensive display. In the final 10 minutes, Swansea threw everything they had at the hosts but their defence remained resolute to deny Swansea all three points.

Port Talbot: Vicky Beddows, Laura-May Walkley, Terri Beddows, Chelsey Harris, Rachael Ball, Jess Hammett, Lauren Amor (Jodie Passmore, 30), Jess Denscombe (Coryn Sexton, 46), Nia Probert, Courteney Thomas, Masie Miller

Yellow Cards: Laura-May Walkley 57’ Masie Miller 70’, Jess Hammett 86’

Swansea City: Claire Skinner, Alice Powe, Shaunna Jenkins, Ellie Lake, Emma Beynon, Kelly Adams, Ria Hughes, Chloe Chivers (Chloe Tiley, 85), Katy Hosford, Laura Davies, Tija Richards

Yellow Cards: Emma Beynon 38’

Red Cards: Emma Beynon 45+2’ (Second Yellow)