Port Talbot Back In The Title Mix As Citizens Pay Price For Red Cards

Port Talbot Town 2-1 Bangor City

Manager Mark Jones kept the same starting line-up that earned a 3-0 win at GAP Connah’s Quay the weekend before but was forced to make a change inside the opening 15 minutes as defender Lee Surman pulled up with an injury and had to be replaced by Gareth Phillips. Karl Lewis was moved back to the centre of defence to partner record-appearance making captain Matthew Rees as Phillips linked-up in midfield. Port Talbot started the match the far stronger of the two sides and that was how it remained for long periods as Liam McCreesh and Daniel Thomas came close before Martin Rose found himself one-on-one with goalkeeper Paul Smith but Smith made a fine save to prevent the striker opening the scoring on 30 minutes.

Port Talbot forced a series of corners while at the other end Lee Kendall was rarely troubled as Lewis and Rees defended well. Port Talbot continued their dominance into the second half and after Daniel Thomas had scuffed a shot wide of the post Martin Rose picked up a through ball before beating his man and finishing in style to score a superb individual goal. The lead was fully deserved but the frustrations of the visitors began to spill over as referee Darren Adie issued a string of bookings. On 80 minutes Martin Rose was brought down in the area and scored the resulting spot-kick but a lapse in concentration at the the back a few minutes later allowed David Swanick to head home a the back post for Bangor City.

Peter Hoy attempted to retrieve the ball from Rees to re-start play but received his second yellow card of the afternoon for his actions to reduce the visitors to ten men. Bangor pushed forward for an equaliser but were left lacking in numbers at the back as substitutes Scott Barrow and Drew Fahiya caused problems for them with their pace. Bangor were then reduced to nine men when Dave Morley brought down Fahiya as he held the ball in the corner to receive his second yellow before referee Adie brought the game to a close and with it bring a deserved three points for Mark Jones side.

23rd November 2009 – Evening Post

Port Talbot back in the title mix as Citizens pay price for red cards

Port Talbot put themselves in the title mix following a 2-1 victory over an indisciplined Bangor City. Despite atrocious weather, the ground was a credit to the Port Talbot groundstaff. It allowed the home side to play their normal expansive game which was too good for the Citizens, who were outgunned throughout and their frustration boiled over in the last 10 minutes as Peter Hoy and Dave Marley both saw red. Dave Swanick gave the visitors a lifeline with a header seven minutes from time, Jamie Reed and Chris Sharp the providers, but it was a lifeline they did not deserve.

The only downside for Port Talbot was the jittery ending to a match they should have coasted by a three or four-goal margin. Chance after chance went begging and it was not until the 57th minute that Martin Rose calmed nerves. Lee John set up the chance with a classy delivery, but Rose still had it all to do as he advanced into the area and fired a superb shot past impressive keeper Paul Smith. Bangor’s stopper was the man of the match with a string of magnificent saves, but he was beaten again by Rose in the 80th minute from the spot after he had been brought down by Hoy, who was promptly dismissed. “I thought we played some great stuff and controlled 75 to 80 per cent of the match,” said Port Talbot boss Mark Jones. “Every player put in a good shift. We struggled to control the ball in the first half with the wind behind us, but we could still have been a couple of goals up.

But after the break we were excellent and only a bit of inexperience prevented us winning comfortably.” Skipper Matthew Rees, who received a guard of honour from his team as he ran onto the pitch for a club record-breaking 156th Welsh Premier appearance, was again outstanding. But Lee Surman, who was due to captain the Welsh Under-23 semi-professional side this week in Portadown, was stretchered off with an ankle injury in the 10th minute and looks likely to miss out.

23rd November 2009 – Daily Post

Bangor City angry at referee after Port Talbot defeat

Bangor City fans were left seething after their team was reduced to nine players before the end of a 2-1 defeat at Port Talbot Town. Referee Darren Adie from Caldicot dismissed City defenders Peter Hoy and Dave Morley for two cautions each and three more of manager Nev Powell’s players were also booked as were two members of the home side. Two players in Port Talbot’s ranks also fell foul of the referee. City’s secretary Gwynfor Jones said: “A number of the league’s officials were present at the match – among them secretary John Deakin, assistant Andrew Howard and referee’s chief Rodger Gifford – and they must have been gob-smacked at the referee’s performance.

“It was not a dirty match by any means and yet the referee thought it necessary to issue a total of nine cards. We have no quibbles about the match result because Port Talbot deserved to win, but we were shocked by the rest of what happened.” City, who were sunk by two goals midway in the second half, clawed one back through Dave Swanick, with a close-range finish on 78 minutes, but were unable to find a way back and were left with nothing to show for their effort. The win was clinched by Martin Rose’s double, the opener on 55 minutes when he cut through the middle, and then a penalty on 75, after he had been fouled by Hoy.

22nd November 2009 – Wales on Sunday

Rose back to his best for Talbot

Port Talbot dented Bangor’s prospects of gaining a top 10 Super League place with a well deserved victory at the GenQuip Stadium. The Steelmen were full value for their maximum points haul win, which sees them ease into fifth spot in the table. Most of the chances created came the way of the Steelmen, with top scorer Martin Rose their two-goal hero. Rose was back to his best in terms of creation and goal-scoring as he, more than anyone, brought about the Citizens’ downfall.

Following a goalless first half, Rose broke the deadlock when he rifled in a powerful shot from the edge of the area. Then, 10 minutes from time, Rose was pulled down in the box and he picked himself up to score from the penalty spot. But the visitors made it a tense finale when a misunderstanding in the Port Talbot penalty area resulted in Dave Swanick scrambling a goal for Bangor. That came after Rose and Daniel Thomas had gone close to adding to Port Talbot’s tally.

21st November 2009 – www.the-citizens-choice.co.uk

Match Report

Bangor slipped to a single goal defeat at Port Talbot and to make matters worse had Peter Hoy and Dave Morley dismissed for second yellow card offences by referee Darren Adie. In difficult wet and windy conditions, Bangor struggled to get going in the first half.  Port Talbot, who had seen defender Lee Surman limp off inside the opening quarter hour, went close through former blues midfielder Neil Thomas who followed up his own cross from the left to crash the ball into the side netting. Talbot went close again when a bouncing ball got the better of Chris Robert and Peter Hoy to allow the marauding Martin Rose a run on goal but Paul Smith saved with his legs to keep the scoreline blank. Of the ten cards shown in total only three featured in the first half as Chris Roberts, Marc Limbert and Danny Thomas entered Mr Adie’s busy little book.

No card though for the rough and ready Matthew Rees whose answer to most problems was to push or pull. So the whistle blew on a goalless first period with City having every reason to feel confident about the second. The second half was a far more action packed affair, featuring three goals and several cards of different shades and colours. The second home player to join the carded club was substitute Phillips on 47 minutes. Ten minutes later football took centre stage as Martin Rose ran directly through a gaping hole in the Bangor defence to slide home past Paul Smith who had little chance from a clean low drive. Manager Nev Powell responded by sending on Ashley Stott for left winger Sion Edwards. A sign of things to come on 74 minutes was a yellow card for Dave Morley and a moment later yellow card peril for Peter Hoy as he was ajudged to have tripped the dangerous Rose as he cut in from the left.  

Martin Rose picked himself up and drove the penalty straight down the middle and into the net. On 80 minutes Peter Hoy was sent off by referee Adie who was now warming to his task for a second yellow offence – Matthew Rees was also cautioned – as Hoy sought to retrieve the ball as the home side resorted to blatant time wasting and the bald centreback would simply not return the ball. City gave themselves a potential lifeline with seven minutes left.  Jamie Reed crossed from the left, Chris Sharp challenged with little Lee Kendall and Dave Swanick headed home at the back post.  Next in the book was substitute Clive Williams who had replaced Mark Smyth on 68 minutes. There was still time for one last piece of theatrics.  Drew Fahiya took the ball to the flag to waste time, Dave Morley challenged and the former Bridgend striker flung himself down to tempt Mr Adie to once again dust off his plastic and show yellow – and therefore red – to a disbelieving Morley. So a long trip south for no reward, and one which has ramifications for the Friday night visit of Connahs Quay which both Hoy and Morley will now miss.

Principality Welsh Premier League

Saturday, 21st November 2009

at The GenQuip Stadium, Port Talbot

Port Talbot Town 2-1 Bangor City


Port Talbot Town

Martin Rose (57)

Martin Rose (80) (p)

Bangor City

David Swanick (83)

Referee – Mr Darren Adie

Port Talbot Town

Team – Lee Kendall, Leigh De-Vulgt, Lloyd Grist, Karl Lewis, Matthew Rees, Lee Surman, Lee John, Neil Thomas, Martin Rose, Liam McCreesh, Daniel Thomas

Subs – Scott Barrow (rep D.Thomas – 69), Drew Fahiya (rep Lee John – 87), Gareth Phillips (rep Surman – 12)

Yellow Cards – Daniel Thomas (34), Gareth Phillips (47), Matthew Rees (79) – Red Cards – None

Goalscorers – Martin Rose (57) & (80) (p)

Bangor City

Team – Paul Smith, David Swanick, Chris Roberts, Peter Hoy, James Brewerton, Dave Morley, Jamie Reed, Marc Limbert, Chris Sharp, Mark Smyth, Sion Edwards

Subs – Ashley Stott (rep Edwards – 64), Clive Williams (rep Smyth – 68), Sion Davies (Unused)

Yellow Cards – Chris Roberts (7), Marc Limbert (32), Dave Morley (74), Peter Hoy (75), Clive Williams (85) Red Cards – Peter Hoy (83), Dave Morley (90)

Goalscorers – David Swanick (83)

Attendance – 156