Old Gold Edge It Out After Cup High

Port Talbot Town 0-1 Carmarthen Town

Neil Thomas returned to the starting line-up in place of Matthew Thompson for this derby match against Mark Jones former club Carmarthen Town. The visitors named five former Port Talbot Town players in their starting line-up and it would have been six if Craig Hanford had not picked up a hamstring injury in training during the week. The first chance of the match went to Port Talbot Town striker Martin Rose but his header was denied by the crossbar with Carmarthen goalkeeper Neil Thomas beaten.

Chances were few and far between with little football being played by either side and referee Wayne Stephens being called into ease the tension after some heavy tackles in midfield by the visitors. Port Talbot tested the Carmarthen defence with a series of long throws and corners but had little to offer against the excellent central defensive pairing of Dale Griffiths and Kris Thomas. Carmarthen came out brightly for the second half and Dyfan Pierce should have put his side ahead but his low shot was well saved by Lee Kendall. The visitors continued to ask questions and midway through the half Craig Hughes forced Kendall to make a fine save from his long range effort. Kendall pushed the ball wide for a corner and from the resulting set-piece Port Talbot failed to clear the ball and it dropped to Neil Smothers on the edge of the area and he had enough space to find the back of the net. Carmarthen were lifted by the goal and continued to defend well against a frustrated Port Talbot Town side.

Martin Rose then had the best chance of the match when a cross from the left found him in space in the area but he could not direct his diving header on target. Carmarthen goalkeeper Neil Thomas was then called into action as a deflected shot appeared to be heading into the net but he was able to tip the ball wide of the post. Controversy followed as Thomas then kicked out at Scott Barrow but the incident was missed by the referee as Carmarthen held on to claim a deserved victory.

6th March 2010 – www.carmarthentownafc.net

Match Report

Neil Smothers’ low driven volley on sixty-five minutes gave Town all three points as the Richmond Park outfit extended their on-the-road form to nine games undefeated. Having ridden their luck somewhat in the first half Town pressed after the break and having maintained possession for long periods they inflicted only the second home defeat on the GenQuip Stadium outfit.

With Liam McCreesh suspended Neil Thomas returned for the hosts. Sacha Walters was given a start for Town and with Craig Hanford injured Nathan Cotterrall took the right back berth with Dyfan Pierce playing on the left of mid-field. Defending a series of free kicks and Daniel Thomas long throws Town were put under some early pressure. Walters had a good effort on target after Richard Hughes had provided from the flank. But it was the host who created the better opportunities. Martin Rose was denied by the bar on thirteen minutes and Town keeper Neil Thomas was forced to finger tip a second effort over as Lee John broke dangerously down the flank. But with Dale Griffiths and Chris Thomas getting to grips with the Port Talbot forward threat Town competed well and it remained goalless at the break. Following the resumption Craig Hughes becoming influential and just before the hour he played in Pierce who’s side footed effort was anticipated well by Lee Kendall going down to his right.

Town continued to press keeping Kendall busy as he denied Hughes’ well placed diagonal floated shot. But maintaining the pressure Town finally found the net when Hughes played the ball back from the box for Smothers to break the deadlock from the edge of the 18 yard line. With the Steelmen stung they went looking for an equaliser but Town stood firm. With fifteen minutes remaining and the Steelmen forcing a series of corners the ball was played-in with pace from the flank but Rose’s diving header went across an open goal and beyond the back post. Then with five minutes left on the clock and Port Talbot pushing forward Thomas did well to get his hand to a deflected ball as Town saw out six minutes of injury time to register a double over the Steelmen.

Principality Welsh Premier League

Saturday, 6th March 2010

at The GenQuip Stadium

Port Talbot Town 0-1 Carmarthen Town


Port Talbot Town


Carmarthen Town

Neil Smothers (65)

Referee – Mr Wayne Stephens

Port Talbot Town

Team – Lee Kendall, Leigh De-Vulgt, Lloyd Grist, Scott Barrow, Matthew Rees, Lee Surman, Lee John, Neil Thomas, Martin Rose, Daniel Thomas, Drew Fahiya

Subs – Gary Bansor (rep John – 71), Nicky Holland (rep Fahiya – 53), Matthew Thompson (rep D.Thomas – 62)

Yellow Cards – None Red Cards – None

Goalscorers – None

Carmarthen Town

Team – Neil Thomas, Richard Hughes, Dyfan Pierce, Neil Smothers, Dale Griffiths, Kris Thomas, Sacha Walters, TimHicks, Paul Fowler, Craig Hughes, Nathan Cotterrall

Subs – Nicky Palmer (rep Pierce – 63), Danny Thomas (rep C.Hughes – 85), Deryn Brace (Unused)

Yellow Cards – Richard Hughes (78), Tim Hicks (90) Red Cards – None

Goalscorers – Neil Smothers (65)

Attendance – 197