MATCH REPORT: Ynysygerwen 0-3 Port Talbot Town: Hall Strike and Edwards Double Seals Away Win

Port Talbot Town continued pre-season preparations with an impressive 3-0 win over Ynysygerwen at the Llandarcy Academy of Sport. On a pleasant evening, goals from John Hall and Jordan Edwards x2 sealed a fine victory against the Ardall Leagues South West opposition.

Ahead of the Nathaniel MG Cup 1st round fixture against Swansea University to kickstart the competitive season in just over three weeks (17 July), the Blues started with a familiar eleven and prolific striker Jordan Edwards nearly opened the scoring inside two minutes after he was put through, but some unfortunate mis-control disallowed him the opportunity to shoot.

It was a bright start from the Steelmen, and five minutes in Jordan Pike was inches away from scoring when his delightful free kick from twenty yards out struck the post. A minute later and Conor Harris had the ball in the net only for it to rightfully be ruled out for offside.

Pike’s free kick strikes the post

Ryan Morgan was lively from full back, and he put in a lovely cross on fourteen minutes to find Edwards whose header went straight into the hands of the home goalkeeper. Cameron Harris continued his impressive pre-season showing a great burst of pace from midfield, but a last-ditch tackle denied him the chance to shoot on goal as the first of three thirty-minute periods finished goalless.

Edwards heads straight at the keeper

Edwards returned the earlier favour to Ryan Morgan after some good work, but the full-back’s effort was wild and wide. Edwards continued to run the show and he brilliantly fed Cameron Harris who forced the Ynys keeper into a big save on thirty-eight minutes. Conor Harris then went close shortly after with a fierce volley after a corner was cleared but it was well over in the end.

After forty-five minutes, Port Talbot finally made their dominance count with Jordan Edwards getting a deserved goal with a lovely, curled finish across the goalkeeper after he beat the offside trap to make it 1-0. That lead should have been doubled two minutes later after some wonderful play with Ryan Morgan putting it on a plate for Jack Underwood, but he somehow headed wide from close range.

Ryan Morgan delivers a lovely cross

The Blues wouldn’t rue that miss though as some great work from Underwood and Daryl Hughes had the away fans purring and the move ended with a neat, flicked header from Edwards to double his tally and extend the Blues’ lead to 2-0 at the second interval. 

Edwards and Underwood celebrate the goal

Ynysygerwen threatened early in the third period with an audacious lob, but James Harris comfortably saw it over. He had another comfortable save shortly thereafter after a deep cross from the home side was met with a header, but Harris gathered well.

Youth winger Manny Malone went close to getting his first senior goal for the Blues with a brilliant header producing a great save from the Ynys goalkeeper. The Blues continued with attacking intent and Adam Llewellyn met a Pike corner, but his header was wide.

With three minutes remaining, Port Talbot had their third when a Pike a free kick was cleared to the edge of the box and John Hall collected the ball and fired home into the roof of the net to assert the Blues’ dominance and secure a 3-0 win.

John Hall celebrates the third

The pre-season fixtures continue to come thick and fast now and the Blues return to Victoria Road on Saturday (3 July) for a home fixture against Garden Village (kick off 2.30pm). 

All image credits: Lewis Mitchell.