The Victoria Road ground wasn’t the place to be for Port Talbot Town supporters Friday night as nearby neighbours Goytre United put in a ruthless second half performance to send a real message out to the rest of their Welsh league rivals.

Despite the huge deficit in score line, it was the home side that dominated the majority of play in the first half of action. Keane Watts’ ball switched across the park fell to the feet of Dylan Llewellyn who volleyed just wide.

Only minutes later another huge opportunity was presented to PTT. Ben Rose-Miles collected the ball from 30 yards out and spotted Goytre’s Luke Martin off his line. With Martin comfortably beaten the ball struck the post to prevent an early lead for the blues with under 10 minutes played.

Llewellyn was involved again when he got on the end of Rose-Miles’ cross but was unable to header on target. Goytre’s first chance of the game came at the 20 minute mark with Joe Hopkins testing from distance. James Harris had to get down low for this one but made a smart save to prevent the ball from rolling in to the bottom corner.

The deadlock was finally broken though and it was the visitors who took the lead in quite stylish fashion. Goytre United aimed a cross at the back post towards Cortez Belle who headed the ball down towards the centre of the six yard area. Tom Watlers was in the right place at the right time and finished with an overhead kick to put the away side 1-0 up.

Port Talbot was the still side testing for the half. Dylan Llewellyn even got the ball in the back of the net only to see his effort ruled out by a late offside call from the assistant referee.

Coming out for the second half saw Goytre really begin to open up the floodgates. With an hour played, Goytre doubled their lead. A goalmouth scramble saw Walters once again in the right place at the right time as he fired home for his second of the day.

His hat-trick was wrapped up minutes later with an effort from long distance. Despite John Hall blocking the shot the deflection lifted up over Harris and in to the back of the net to give Goytre a 3 goal lead.

Joe Hopkins got Goytre’s forth with a nice finish from close range, Hopkins controlled a long ball in to the box, swivelled and shot underneath Harris as the heads of the Port Talbot Town side really began to drop at this point.

Morgan Thomas managed to pull one back for the home side after he was able to get on the end of Martin’s initial save.

A Sam Johnson goal and a last minute effort from Cortez Belle was the final nail in the coffin for PTT as Goytre ran away with a huge 6-1 win at Victoria Road.

Port Talbot are back on the road this Saturday with a trip to new boys Ammanford in what will be the final away game for the blues in 2018. Be sure to keep an eye on the Port Talbot Town Twitter page for live match updates as they happen.

Match Pictures: Lewis Mitchell