MATCH REPORT: PORT TALBOT TOWN 1-1 CWMAMMAN UNITED: Two PK’s And One Red Card Sees The Festive Points Shared

Manager Mark Pike and counterpart Eirian Rees would have come away from Victoria Road Saturday afternoon thinking their respected sides could have come away from the fixture with maximum points as chances were a plenty heading in to the final phases of the game.

It was the visitors that started the brighter however with multiple efforts testing Jamie Rano early on in to the game. John Hall with a notable defensive cover minutes in preventing a shot at Rano that could have broken the deadlock with less than 5 minutes on the clock.

In stranger circumstances, Jordan Pike’s corner kick swung in to the six yard area and struck the cross bar in what was Port Talbot’s first testing effort on goal. Chris Curtis in goal for Cwmamman might just have gotten a decisive touch on the ball to stop what would have been Pike’s first goal of the season.

This gave the lift PTT were looking for though and it didn’t take long for Keane Watts to begin to settle in to this one. Watts was hacked down by Aaron Richards on the right hand side with the resulting free kick from Pike going close to goal once again.

The game continued to be incident free from there on in up until the half hour mark when Ben Rose-Miles was brought down in the area to win a penalty for the home side. Jandir Zola stepped up and smashed the ball low in to the bottom right hand corner to put Port Talbot Town one goal up to the good.

Keane Watts nearly caught out Curtis in goals minutes later as he looked to lob the away side’s goalkeeper with what would have been a spectacular effort from 30 yards or so out. Curtis was able to recover and collect the ball though on this occasion.

Confidence continued to grow as Zola looked to grab his second of the game with a free kick on the edge of the area. The wall did its job on this occasion and any danger was immediately cleared.

Just before the referee blew for half time came to pivotal moment of the game. As Ryan Morgan challenged Ryan Thomas in the middle of the park, Cwmamman’s Thomas kicked out at Morgan in front of referee Alex McInch who had no choice but to give Thomas his marching orders and reduce the side down to 10 men going in to half time.

Despite the reduction as both sides came out, Cwmamman started to look the stronger side. A scooped ball in to PTT’s box fell agonisingly close to Nathan McNeil who was inches away from making a connection and giving the visitors an equaliser early in to the half.

Ashley Curtis came close minutes later with a headed effort going just over Rano’s crossbar. Jackson Hall made a huge block in the six yard area shortly after to stop yet another effort on PTT’s goal with Watts finally getting a effort in for PTT in the second half as the Blues countered.

The pressure finally paid off for Cwmamman with a spot kick of their own with 60 minutes of the game played. Colin Harris converted the penalty to bring the game level once again.

Both sides continued to apply the pressure and it was evident both were looking for the win with strong challenges being put in by both Port Talbot and Cwmamman United. Keane Watts managed to get the ball in the net in the closing moments of the game but was beaten by an offside decision to deny any late celebrations from the home side.

Substitute Calem Rees was close to grabbing a late winner for the away side with a big save from Jamie Rano the difference on this occasion. Just as the game began to heat up again in the end moments the referee blew for full time with the sides level at one goal each.

With one more game to play in the Welsh football league in 2018, Port Talbot Town entertain Taff’s Well at Victoria Road this upcoming Saturday (29th December) which has the potential to dictate fortunes for both sides going in to the new year.

Be sure to keep an eye on for continuing news as it breaks and your usual social media platforms for everything blue and white!

Featured Image: Lewis Mitchell