In what was at times a scrappy affair, it was honours even at Victoria Road as Port Talbot Town held title chasing Haverfordwest County to a goalless draw.

With no early chances at goal from either side it took Port Talbot’s Blake Morgan 15 minutes in to proceedings to get close to the target. Morgan’s acrobatic effort on this occasion near the edge of the area went just wide of Kyle Stewart’s goal.

The Bluebirds had settled down by this point and looked dangerous when presented with a free kick on the edge of Port Talbot’s area. A wicked delivery aimed towards the centre of the goal was headed away by John Hall with any danger immediately averted.

Connor Harris went up the other end for PTT in the next attacking phase driving forward and shooting from distance with this effort once again going just wide of Stewart’s goal. Haverfordwest needed to change something at this point and it was with this that a flurry of chances came their way.

Another set piece and another excellent delivery in to the Port Talbot area saw captain Sean Pemberton available at the back post. Pemberton knocked the ball across the six yard area but no attacker was able to get on the end of his pass with the ball rolling out of play as a result.

Elliot Thomas was then presented with the best chance of the game with 35 minutes played with a side footed volley aimed towards the bottom corner of the goal. James Harris to be at full stretch to pull off a fantastic save tipping the ball away from goal.

Harris was called in to action almost immediately once goal and in similar circumstances needed to make another save going towards the bottom corner of his goal. Ashley Bevan this time getting a shot off from a similar distance but unable to find the back of the net.

With Haverfordwest’s attacking prowess finally starting to die down, Port Talbot were able to get the last chance of the half in as Keane Watts started to turn on the magic. Watts picked up the ball towards the half way line and made a run towards goal. He beat two Haverfordwest players before just dragging his shot wide of the mark as both sides went back in to the changing room with the deadlock yet to be broken.

Former Port Talbot Town player Kaid Mohamad had had a quiet game so far but looked to make an impact early in to the second half. Mohamad shot at goal near the edge of the box but Harris comfortably saved on this occasion.

Jackson Hall continued to put in a solid performance defensively but even contributed in attack when he chased down Haverfordwest’s Harri Rowe near the visitors own third of the field. Hall recovered possession and drilled a low cross towards Morgan Thomas who was able to get a touch on the ball but not quite enough to trouble Stewart who watched the ball loop over the crossbar.

Port Talbot’s best opportunity of the game came with an hour play with some good creative work from Connor Harris on the wing. Harris beat his man on the far side of the field and crossed low in to the box. Morgan Thomas gained possession of the ball following a goalmouth scramble and looked to give PTT the lead was it not for Kyle Stewart in goal who saved from close range.

The visitors continued to test with a flurry of chances up the other end of the field but as the game reached it’s conclusion it looked like the points were going to be shared on this occasion. Morgan Thomas went close again in the final minutes after Blake Morgan won another aerial battle in the box and headed downwards back to Thomas. Thomas’ shot going just wide of the mark.

It wasn’t to be for either side though as referee Kris Hames blew for full time with Haverfordwest now 10 points away from league leaders Penybont as the champions elect picked up a win on Friday evening. The game’s don’t get easier for Mark Pike’s Port Talbot Town as it’s away game at Penybont this Saturday (March 2nd) next on the calendar. Kick off for this one now reverts back to the later time of 2:30PM. If you’re unable to make the trip be sure to check the official club Twitter (@PortTalbotTown) for your live match updates.

Match Images: Russell Morris