MATCH REPORT: PENYBONT 1-0 PORT TALBOT TOWN: Champions Elect Leave It Late To Pick Up The Win

League leaders Penybont maintained their superb league form through to the later stages of the season with the slimmest of victories against a resurgent Port Talbot Town side in a game that was overshadowed by an injury received by Blake Morgan which required a hospital visit during the first half. Thankfully, Blake left the hospital the same day after being cleared following what looked to be a serious head injury.

To the game itself and it was the home side that looked to make a statement early on in to proceedings. John Hall was required to make consecutive blocks in front of the goal area to prevent an early lead before James Harris being called in to action to deal with the final bit of danger.

Port Talbot’s first opportunity of the game came minutes later with a counter attack. Morgan Thomas was able to cut the ball low across to Jandir Zola but just going out of Zola’s reach. Penybont’s James Saddler was able to see the ball out of play on this occasion.

An early substitution was required for PTT when Blake Morgan took a knock to the head and had to be replaced by Ben Rose-Miles. As Port Talbot began to get on top of proceedings there was concern for Morgan on the sidelines with referee Kim Fisher calling a brief stop to proceedings to ensure Morgan’s safety came before other activities.

With Blake Morgan taken away to hospital (and later on cleared with no major injury concern) the game resumed with an hour or so passed between then and the last bit of play. The away side continued to create the best chances of the half which an earlier effort from Morgan Thomas testing Rhys Wilson in goal followed up later with a penalty appeal waved away by the referee.

Jay Bowen managed to get two shots at goal at the other end of the field for the home side and needed a double save from Harris to ensure both sides went in at the half with the scores all tied.

The fortunes and conditions favoured Penybont in the second half as they began to assert their dominance on the game. Owain Warlow had the first chance for the champions elect but smashed the ball high and wide after a corner kick came to no avail. Luke Borelli and Curtis Hutson got efforts in of their own before the breakthrough came later on in the half with 10 minutes to spare.

It was centre forward Luke Borelli on the scoresheet following a well worked set piece on the edge of the Port Talbot area. Borelli collected the ball just wide of the wall after a few dummy runs from his teammates and with a free shot at goal he made no mistake and fired past Harris to put the ‘Bont one goal to the good.

With the minutes continuing to tick by, Penybont did well to hold on to the ball as Rhys Griffiths’ side ate up the clock and eventually finished the game with maximum points in the bag and an undefeated league record still in tack. Despite the pre-match write offs on show from various different outlets, Port Talbot Town left Bridgend disappointed not to come away with a point.

Attentions turn towards the bottom end of the league this Saturday as Undy Athletic visit Victoria Road in a crunch Welsh league division one encounter. Kick off this one is now reverted to the later time of 2:30PM.

Match Images: Russell Morris