MATCH REPORT: Baglan Dragons 3-0 Port Talbot Town: Dragons Roar to Friendly Victory

Port Talbot Town continued pre-season with a disappointing 3-0 defeat to Baglan Dragons at a wet and blustery Vivian Park. It was a missed opportunity to impress for several of Mark Pike’s players, with the side missing notable first-teamers such as Jordan Edwards, Jordan Pike, both Ryan Morgans, Connor Harris, John Hall, Cameron Harris, Owen Williams, and Morgan Thomas. However, the Blues never got going with the South Wales Alliance League Premier Division side in firm control.

Baglan started brightly down the wing and should have led after two minutes thanks to some great play on the right flank and a delightful cross was inches away from being met by the Dragons striker, only to evade him by inches.

New signing Jake Kelly worked the ball well in midfield to find Tom Blizzard, but he saw his shot well blocked in a rare sight on goal for the Steelmen who struggled to get out of their own half.

Eighteen minutes in and the Dragons made their midfield dominance count after a ricochet in the box saw James Harris save well, but Jordan Evans tapped in the rebound to make it 1-0. That lead was nearly doubled five minutes later with Harris once again called into action to deny Baglan at close range with a great save.

However, Jordan Evans doubled his tally and the Baglan lead with a powerful strike from fifteen yards having the beating of Harris to make it 2-0.

This second goal seemed to spark the Blues into momentary action, with Tom Blizzard going close with a free kick that was deflected wide. Both Llewellyns, Adam and Dylan, combined brilliantly in the final third with the ball falling to Callum Holden but his tame effort was comfortably saved from the Dragons goalkeeper. Blizzard tried his luck again with a set-piece and his cheeky effort under the wall nearly had Port Talbot back in the game before half-time, but they went into the break 2-0 down.

Five minutes into the second half and it was nearly brilliant from Adam Llewellyn after a short corner was worked well with Holden and his cross-shot was inches wide. Baglan went up the other end shortly after and Harris was again called into action to keep the scores down after some fancy footwork in the attack.

Dylan Llewellyn never stopped working and running, with a good burst of pace on the wing finding Blizzard but his shot was only blocked. Baglan continued to attack not intent with their two-goal lead, and they should have added a third after a melee in the box somehow failing to find a finishing Dragons’ touch. 

That third did come in the last kick of the match though after a Rhys Jones foul gifted Baglan a penalty and with Harris routed to his line and not attempting a dive, the rout was complete as the Dragons ran out 3-0 winners.

It was the first defeat of pre-season for Port Talbot Town, and they will look to put things right in the final friendly next Tuesday (13 July) with a trip to Ynys Park to take on Ton Pentre (7.30pm).

Image Credit: Brandon Arthur