Lopez Grabs Winner

Port Talbot Town 0-1 Swansea City

A large crowd were in attendance at The GenQuip Stadium to watch Port Talbot Town take Championship side Swansea City in their hardest pre-season test. Martin Rose made a welcome return to the side but it was his strike partner Daniel Thomas who had the first chance of the game when he broke free inside the opening five minutes but struggled to control the ball against the advancing keeper. Swansea City soon settled down and it was former Port Talbot Town duo Kerry Morgan and Chad Bond who both had early chances for the visitors. While Swansea enjoyed the better possession, Lee Surman and Matthew Rees defended well against a strong Swansea line-up that included Gary Monk, Guillem Bauza, Leon Britton, Fede Bossone as well as new signing Jordi Lopez.

It was Lopez who eventually made the difference as he found himself in space at the back post and made no mistake to score past temporary Port Talbot Town goalkeeper Neil Collins after 29 minutes. A strong claim for a Swansea City penalty was then waved away by referee Ryan Thomas as the visitors began to take control. Both sides made a series of substitutions early in the second half with both sides having also played the day before and the game slowed down considerably. Drew Fahiya had an early chance to score an equaliser however and new signing Neil Thomas also came close as both players attempted long range efforts. Swansea regained their control of the game however and created a number of chances late in the game but could not increase their advantage.

Port Talbot Town manager Mark Jones will take a lot of positives out of the game however with all his new signings again impressing and his established players raising their game against the competition for their place in the side.

3rd August 2009 – Evening Post

Lopez grabs winner

Paulo Sousa opted not to watch Swansea City’s final pre-season fixture, and in truth he didn’t miss much.

Swansea’s manager was at Leicester to watch next weekend’s opponents beat Real Valladolid 1-0. His team won by the same scoreline against rather less glamorous opponents, Port Talbot Town, thanks to Jordi Lopez’s goal. Swansea coach Colin Pascoe sent out a side which, surprisingly, included first-team heavyweights Leon Britton and Garry Monk. Lopez was the third member of Swansea’s starting line-up who will fancy his chances of getting the nod in five days’ time. But it was two of the club’s youngsters, Kerry Morgan and Casey Thomas, who had the first sighters of the evening in the opening quarter.

There were a couple of unfriendly challenges, Liam McReesh thundering into Thomas and former Swan Leigh De-Vulgt almost taking Morgan’s head off. Guillem Bauza gave Neil Collins some work in the home goal before the opening goal. Fede Bessone started it all, cutting in from the left and feeding Bauza, whose shot was blocked. The ball fell invitingly for Bessone, who dragged his effort across the face. No matter, Lopez was on hand at the far post to steer home his first goal in Swansea colours. Yeovil Town manager Terry Skiverton was in the stands — along with ex-Swan Darren Way — and they saw Drew Fahiya force a first save of the night from David Cornell early in the second period. At the other end Bond came close to following up his Kilmarnock goal with a long-range drive which shaved the crossbar, then Morgan volleyed just over.

As the substitutes flowed, new signing Stephen Dobbie fired narrowly wide of the target and Bond drilled over. Dobbie came closest to notching a second at the death, his 20-yarder crashing off the post.

Pre-Season Friendly

Sunday, 2nd August 2009

at The GenQuip Stadium, Port Talbot.

Port Talbot Town 0-1 Swansea City


Port Talbot Town


Swansea City

Jordi Lopez (29 minutes)

Referee – Mr Ryan Thomas