Liam The Hero For Talbot

Port Talbot Town 2-1 Airbus UK Broughton

Midfielder Karl Lewis returned to the Port Talbot Town starting line-up after injury while Lee John was again named o the bench alongside Lloyd Grist and Gary Bansor. Port Talbot started the better of the two sides in a quiet opening half and forced the early pressure with a series of corners and it was Scott Barrow who could have opened the scoring direct from a corner as his in-swinging effort was saved. Chances were few and far between in the first half with Lee Kendall rarely troubled with the windy conditions not helping either side play football.

Neil Thomas picked up the first booking of the game just before the break in one of the few memorable moments of the opening half but the game improved in the second period with Thomas scoring his first goal for the club on 56 minutes with a well taken effort from the edge of the area. The goal came against the run of play as Airbus had come out a far more organised side in the second half and dominated possession without creating any real chances.

They soon grabbed an equaliser through the league’s leading goalscorer as a defensive mix-up allowed Marc Lloyd-Williams to slot the ball past Kendall in the Port Talbot Town goal on 61 minutes. Airbus were boosted by the goal and played the far better football as Port Talbot struggled to retain possession and were continually pushed back as Airbus went in search of a winner. Kendall was called into action as Airbus continued to pressure the home defence but Port Talbot were able to break and did create a couple of half chances through Martin Rose and Scott Barrow.

The winning goal arrived on 86 minutes however as Liam McCreesh found himself in space inside the area and slotted home a cross from the right with a neat flick to grab an unlikely winner.

25th October 2009 – Wales on Sunday

Liam the hero for Talbot

The Steelmen won this fascinating game with Liam McCreesh the goal-scoring hero. In blustery conditions neither side was able to craft a worthwhile opening in the first half and a stalemate seemed likely. That changed five minutes into the second half when Neil Thomas struck from 20 yards with a fine shot to put the Steelmen in front.

It was very much the boost the home side needed but midway through the second period the league’s top all-time scorer Marc Lloyd Williams pounced in typical style to level matters. He needed no second invitation to cash in on a mistake in the Port Talbot defence and rifled the ball home with aplomb. It was at this point that Airbus sensed victory and appeared odds on to go on to snatch the three points as they took control in the middle of the park. But Port Talbot hung on and tree minutes from time snatched the winner when McCreesh back-heeled the ball into the net from Martin Rose’s supply.

Principality Welsh Premier League

Saturday, 24th October 2009

at The GenQuip Stadium, Port Talbot

Port Talbot Town 2-1 Airbus UK Broughton


Port Talbot Town

Neil Thomas (56)

Liam McCreesh (86)

Airbus UK Broughton

Marc Lloyd-Williams (61)

Referee – Mr Lee Evans

Port Talbot Town

Team – Lee Kendall, Leigh De-Vulgt, Scott Barrow, Karl Lewis, Matthew Rees, Lee Surman, Daniel Thomas, Neil Thomas, Martin Rose, Liam McCreesh, Drew Fahiya

Subs – Lee John (rep D.Thomas – 64), Lloyd Grist (rep Barrow – 76), Gary Bansor (rep De-Vulgt – 76)

Yellow Cards – Neil Thomas (43), Martin Rose (77)

Red Cards – None

Goalscorers – Neil Thomas (56), Liam McCreesh (86)

Airbus UK Broughton

Team – Kristian Rogers, Ryan Edwards, Rhys Roberts, Matthew Woodward, Mark Allen, Gareth Sudlow, Ashley Williams, Danny Desormeaux, Carl Owen, Marc Lloyd-Williams, Matthew Cook

Subs – Jack Abraham (Unused), Paul McManus (Unused), George Cowell (Unused)

Yellow Cards – Gareth Sudlow (77)

Red Cards – None

Goalscorers – Marc Lloyd-Williams (61)

Attendance – 157