Late Winner Ruled Out As Bala Hold Steelmen

Bala Town 1-1 Port Talbot Town

Mark Jones named an unchanged starting line-up as Liam McCreesh returned from suspension to take a place on the bench as Port Talbot went in search of a sixth successive Welsh Premier League victory. It did not start well for the visitors however as within the opening five minutes Bala Town were a goal ahead when Port Talbot failed to clear their lines and Owain Roberts was on hand to open the scoring from close range. The poor playing surface made for a scrappy match as both sides struggled to pass the ball around but on 18 minutes Port Talbot were level.

A corner from Scott Barrow was headed towards goal by Martin Rose but the Bala defence were on hand to clear the ball but only as far as Neil Thomas on the edge of the area as he hit a fine shot to equalise. Port Talbot had the better of the remainder of the first half but could not turn their possession into chances on goal while at the other end Lee Kendall was rarely troubled although the home side were dangerous on the counter-attack. The playing surface worsened in the second half as both sides struggled to take control of the game and on 70 minutes Port Talbot Town made a treble substitution as Daniel Thomas, Liam McCreesh and Drew Fahiya were brought on in an attacking change by manager Mark Jones.

On 77 minutes however a rash challenge by Gareth Phillips earned a straight red card from referee Mark Whitby while Phillips also came off worse in the tackle on goalscorer Owain Roerts as he picked up a knee injury. Port Talbot continued to push forward despite being reduced to ten men and on 88 minutes they though they had scored a winner as captain Matthew Rees headed home from a corner. Referee Whitby was on hand to disallow the goal for a push by Rees before the ball came to him although the incident appeared to have only been seen by Whitby leaving both sides to settle for a share of the points.

13th December 2009 – Wales on Sunday

Bala end Port’s good form

There was an exciting conquest at Lakeland where Port Talbot were looking to maintain their good form but they were held to a 1-1 draw at Bala Town. It was the hosts who had the better start and they took a fourth-minute lead when central defender Matthew Rees made a hash of a clearance and the ball fell kindly to the feet of Owain Roberts, who prodded the ball home from close range. The visitors came back strong and had all of the territorial advantage without really threatening Leon Bimpson’s goal. But they did get back on level terms in the 23rd minute when a Scott Barrow corner looked as if a resulting header from Martin Rose had crossed the line.

The referee thought otherwise but Neil Thomas rifled home the rebound. Bala came close to restoring their lead but Danny Jellicoe missed when he should have done better. On 70 minutes Port Talbot were reduced when Gareth Phillips was given a straight red card following a strong challenge and, although it took his side down to 10 men, they did finish the stronger. In fact, in the 88th minute everyone inside the stadium thought they had won this encounter when Matty Rees turned in a corner from the right but the goal was disallowed to the astonishment of the 22 players on the pitch. Talbot boss Mark Jones said: “We still can’t fathom out why the goal was disallowed, the Bala defenders were more mystified than me.” Bala boss Colin Caton also admitted to thinking it was a goal but after watching the replay said the referee’s decision was right.

12th December 2009 –

Late winner ruled out as Bala hold Steelmen

Port Talbot failed to secure their sixth successive league win at mid-table Bala Town, but they were left disappointed after having a late winner ruled out after Matthew Rees pushed a Bala defender before heading in. Owain Roberts scored a fourth minute opener for the hosts as Bala bid for their third consecutive victory. But Neil Thomas’ leveller in the 23rd minute gained Port Talbot a point before Mark Jones’ visitors had Gareth Phillips sent off by Mark Whitby late on for a poor challenge. This, before the late effort was disallowed for the needless push by the visiting skipper.

Principality Welsh Premier League

Saturday, 12th December 2009

at Maes Tegid, Bala

Bala Town 1-1 Port Talbot Town


Bala Town

Owain Roberts (4)

Port Talbot Town

Neil Thomas (18)

Referee – Mr Mark Whitby

Bala Town

Team – Leon Bimpson, Mark Harris, Steve Fisher, Mark Powell, Danny Jellicoe, Warren Duckett, Owain Roberts, Peter Moore, Ross Jeffries, Ricky Evans, Gethin Lloyd

Subs – John Toner (rep Jeffries – 60), Neil Fisher (Unused), Osian Jones (rep Duckett – 85), Joe Kennedy (Unused)

Yellow Cards – Gethin Lloyd (45)

Red Cards – None

Goalscorers – Owain Roberts (4)

Port Talbot Town

Team – Lee Kendall, Leigh De-Vulgt, Lloyd Grist, Karl Lewis, Matthew Rees, Gareth Phillips, Lee John, Neil Thomas, Martin Rose, Gary Bansor, Scott Barrow

Subs – Daniel Thomas (rep Lewis – 70), Liam McCreesh (rep John – 70), Drew Fahiya (rep Barrow – 70)

Yellow Cards – Lee Kendall (28), Karl Lewis (35), Matthew Rees (47), Gary Bansor (70), Liam McCreesh (71), Martin Rose (87)

Red Cards – Gareth Phillips (77)

Goalscorers – Neil Thomas (18)

Attendance – 151