Jones Frustrated As Lead Slips Away

Newtown 2-2 Port Talbot Town

Midfielder Neil Thomas returned to the starting line-up for Mark Jones side for this visit to Newtown while Drew Fahiya could only settle for a place on the bench. Port Talbot edged the early possession and took the lead after 23 minutes when a strong from Lee John enabled him to create enough space for himself to cross the ball towards the near post where striker Martin Rose was on hand to beat his marker and tap the ball into the net from close range.

It was the sides first goal in four games but within five minutes of the re-start Newtown were level when Ross Stephens picked up a loose ball in the area and slotted the ball past goalkeeper Lee Kendall. Lee John came close to regaining the lead for Port Talbot from a free-kick on the edge of the area while Martin Rose had a similar chance to the one that he scored from earlier in the game just before the break. A scrappy second half moved in favour of the visitors on 67 minutes when Lee John again made a good run out wide and his chipped cross was headed over David Roberts in the Newtown goal by captain Matthew Rees and was adjudged by the linesman to have crossed the line before it was cleared.

The home side were furious with the match officials for allowing the goal to stand but just five minutes later another scramble in the Port Talbot Town penalty area allowed Stephens to score his second goal of the game to once again level the score. Neither side created any real chances for the remainder of the game to leave manager Mark Jones frustrated that his side had twice taken the lead but could only take a share of the points from the game.

Principality Welsh Premier League

Tuesday, 16th March 2010

at Latham Park, Newtown

Newtown 2-2 Port Talbot Town



Ross Stephens (27), (72)

Port Talbot Town

Martin Rose (23)

Matthew Rees (67)

Referee – Mr Bryn Markham-Jones


Team – David Roberts, Craig Williams, Jack Hughes, Craig Hutchinson, Gavin Cadwallader, Andrew Thomas, James Russell, Dylan Blain, Paul Roberts, Ross Stephens, Adam Worton

Subs – Callum Wright (Unused), Neil Mitchell (rep Worton – 82), Andrew Webb (Unused), Dan Dawson (rep Russell – 62), Tyrone McFadden (Unused)

Yellow Cards – None Red Cards – None

Goalscorers – Ross Stephens (27), (72)

Port Talbot Town

Team – Lee Kendall, Leigh De-Vulgt, Lloyd Grist, Scott Barrow, Matthew Rees, Lee Surman, Lee John, Neil Thomas, Martin Rose, Matthew Thompson, Gareth Phillips

Subs – Drew Fahiya (rep Thompson – 54), Nicky Holland (rep Surman – 84), Gary Bansor (rep John – 84)

Yellow Cards – Gary Bansor (89) Red Cards – None

Goalscorers – Martin Rose (23), Matthew Rees (67)

Attendance – 198