Honours Even Over The Border

Weston-Super-Mare 2-2 Port Talbot Town

Lee John sat out what was expected to be Port Talbot’s hardest pre-season friendly so far with a slight injury as Liam McCreesh returned to the side with Gareth Phillips taking a place on the bench on his return. Port Talbot started the better of the two sides however and that was how it stayed for the majority of the matchas Mark Jones pressured the home team throughout the early exchanges with a series of corners and free-kicks.

Daniel Thomas was a constant problem for the home defence but it was Liam McCreesh who opened the scoring on 18 minutes when he found himself one-on-one with the advancing goalkeeper but maintained his composure to score an excellent individual goal. Poor defending allowed Weston to equalise four minutes later however as Jack Compton levelled the score straight from a free-kick. Lee Surman was replaced by Gary Bansor midway through the half as he suffered a cut to his head as Port Talbot continued to force the pressure and came close to adding a second  from Scott Barrow’s superb delivery from a number of corners before the half was brought to a close. Mark Jones made further changes at half-time and it was substitute Nicky Holland who made an immediate impression by scoring on 51 minutes when his shot was fumbled by the goalkeeper.

Former Port Talbot Town player Leon Jeanne made an appearance for the home side in the second half and a great chance to score but his effort from close range was well saved by Kristian Rogers. Port Talbot seemed to lose their shape as they continued to make a number of substitutions and as the game became increasingly bad-tempered Weston equalised on 86 minutes through Darren Mullings. A number of bad fouls and altercations followed before the referee brought the game to a close with Mark Jones pleased with his sides dominance but disappointed with the goals conceded.

Pre-Season Friendly

Saturday, 1st August 2009

at The Woodspring Stadium,


Weston-Super-Mare 2-2 Port Talbot Town



Jack Compton (22 minutes)

Darren Mullings (86 minutes)

Port Talbot Town

Liam McCreesh (18 minutes)

Nicky Holland (51 minutes)

Attendance – 167