Gnoll So Good For The Eagles

Neath 0-2 Port Talbot Town

Port Talbot Town went into this Welsh Premier League derby looking to make it four wins out of four against their local rivals Neath and did not disappoint the excellent travelling support with a comfortable victory. Neath named former Port Talbot Town trio Liam Hancock, Stephen Pockett and Kristian James in their starting line-up but it was the visitors who started the better of the two sides as Mark Jones attacking team selection created a number of early chances as the pace of Drew Fahiya and Daniel Thomas caused the home defence a number of problems.

Thomas opened the scoring in superb style on 15 minutes as he weaved his way through the Neath defence with an attacking run from the left before placing the ball past advancing goalkeeper Anthony Williams. The goal set the tempo for the match as Port Talbot continued to push forward and restricted the home side to half chances on the counter-attack. Drew Fahiya came close to adding a second goal midway through the half but the advantage was doubled on 35 minutes when a superb ball from Daniel Thomas was picked up by Martin Rose and he made no mistake from close range to score his sides second goal of the game.

Neath began the second half with a more physical approach as they quickly closed the visitors down but it was Port Talbot Town defender Lee Surman who would pick up the only yellow card of the match for a foul on the half-way line. Neath pushed forward looking to reduce the deficit but only once forced Lee Kendall to make a save as their long range efforts missed the target. Nicky Holland and Lee John were brought on to add another attacking option for Mark Jones side and it was Holland who came the closest to scoring with first touch but his effort was saved by Williams. Drew Fahiya and Daniel Thomas both then had further chances to extend their sides lead but both failed to hit the target as Port Talbot cruised to their fourth win of the season against their local rivals.

8th April 2010 – Western Mail

Port Talbot beat Neath in Welsh Premiership

Port Talbot are making a bold bid to land a European spot for the first time in their history following an impressive victory at The Gnoll last night. It was Mark Jones’ side’s seventh unbeaten match on the trot and they now look forward to a Welsh Cup semi-final tie against Bala Town at Park Avenue on Saturday. The visitors had much the better of the exchanges and won at a canter and now trail third-place Aberystwyth Town by just a point with three matches of the league campaign to play. The Seasiders have played a game less, but they have a difficult home encounter with Llanelli tomorrow night and still have Rhyl and The New Saints waiting in the wings.

Daniel Thomas gave the Steelmen a 15th-minute boost with a superb individual effort, setting off from 30 yards, beating two Neath defenders before lashing home an unstoppable shot. And Thomas was to the fore again 18 minutes later when he threaded the ball through the home defence and Martin Rose latched onto the opportunity to double the advantage for Port Talbot. Andy Dyer’s side never looked like clawing their way back into the match as they slumped to their fifth home defeat in seven matches, although they look on course for the super 12. They were fortunate not to suffer a heavier loss as Rose, Thomas and Drew Fahiya all went narrowly close to adding to Neath’s woe in the second period as the visitors simply ran away with it.

Principality Welsh Premier League

Wednesday, 7th April 2010

at The Gnoll, Neath

Neath 0-2 Port Talbot Town




Port Talbot Town

Daniel Thomas (15)

Martin Rose (35)

Referee – Mr Ceri Richards


Team – Anthony Williams, Carlos Castan, Kristian James, Ian Hillier, Liam Hancock, Ashley Evans, Stephen Pockett, Craig Steins, Chris Llewellyn, Liam Thomas, Matthew Harris

Subs – Sean Cronin (rep Thomas – 85), Richard Ingram (Unused), Luke Morgan (rep Harris – 67), Kieran Howard (Unused), Kevin Cooper (rep Pockett – 57)

Yellow Cards – None Red Cards – None

Goalscorers – None

Port Talbot Town

Team – Lee Kendall, Leigh De-Vulgt, Scott Barrow, Karl Lewis, Matthew Rees, Lee Surman, Drew Fahiya, Lloyd Grist, Martin Rose, Liam McCreesh, Daniel Thomas

Subs – Lee John (rep Fahiya – 67), Gareth Phillips (rep Lewis – 85), Nicky Holland (rep Thomas – 77)

Yellow Cards – Lee Surman (54) Red Cards – None

Goalscorers – Daniel Thomas (15), Martin Rose (35)

Attendance – 212