Port Talbot Town vs Ammanford




It was value for money at Victoria Road where Port Talbot Town took on Ammanford in what turned out to be a great advert for the Welsh football league.

Ammanford started the stronger of the two sides in this one with the first change of the game coming around the five minute mark. Matthew Jones went close before teammate Matthew Fisher’s cross was tipped over the goal frame by Port Talbot Town goalkeeper James Harris to prevent more pressure from paying off.

Nick Glendon came close a little later in the game and probably should have broken the dreadlock. At the back post he found himself free but his headed effort went just wide.

Chances were really few and far between in the first half and this was especially the case for the hosts. Jandir Zola tested from long range in one of the more memorable efforts for the home side.

In what was the last dangerous attack of the first 45, Ammanford picked up a free kick on the edge of the PTT area. Liam Samuel stepped up and his strike that was drilled low caught out the wall and Harris to roll in at the near post. The visitors went in to the half time stage one goal to the good.

Ammanford goalkeeper Craig Morris was first called in to action early in to the second half and it proved costly when he brought down Keane Watts in the box giving the home side a penalty. Watts picked himself up to take the penalty and hit it low to his right hand side. Morris guessed correctly, was beaten, but the post came to the rescue. Jandir Zola followed up and was knocked out of the way. Ryan Morgan followed in but his shot was blocked before Dylan Llewellyn’s volley on the edge of the area found the right side of the post and in to the side of the net. A cool finish in crazy circumstances to pull the home side level.

Llewellyn was at it again minutes later when he got on the end of a PTT cross. One dummy later and his strike was saved well by Morris to keep Ammanford in the game. Multiple efforts later from Ammanford’s Nick Glendon as well as Port Talbot’s Ben Rose-Miles really brought life in to the game going in to the final 10 minutes and with both sets of supporters getting behind their side, carnage ensued.

Coming off the back of a brace in their game against Pontypridd Town, substitute Alfie Stottor made his presence felt and scored what was looking like the winner for the away side with a headed effort that evaded Harris.

With the Ammanford supporters still celebrating their goal, Port Talbot kicked off and came back with an instant reply. Ben Rose-Miles was put in on goal through the centre of the park, shrugged off his man and poked the ball home to bring the blues level once again with a minute left on the clock.

Referee Ryan Kenny blew for full time moments later with both sides maybe feeling they could have come away with all three points at the end of it. A game that ended in a thriller and hopefully the momentum manager Mark Pike will need going in to the trip to Undy Athletic this Saturday.

For all the latest news, be sure to check out porttalbottown.co.uk and the usual social media avenues for all of your blue and white needs.

Match Images: Lewis Mitchell


Date Time League Season
November 17, 2018 2:00 pm Welsh Football League Division One 2018/2019


Port Talbot Town2