Port Talbot Town vs Llantwit Major




There were goals and red cards a plenty at Victoria Road this past Saturday in what was the only Welsh league division one game of the day. Unfortunately for Mark Pike’s men it just wasn’t to be as Llantwit Major took all three points away from Port Talbot.

Major’s Kristian Smith had the first opportunity of the game very early on. Smith’s shot on goal was saved by Harris and two corner kicks later, PTT were able to clear their lines.

Keane Watts was targeted early on in this encounter as well as he was fouled minutes later on the edge of the Llantwit area winning a free kick for the home side. Dylan Thomas’ stepped over the ball as usual and aimed his effort towards the back stick. This time it was over and out of play with no damage done.

Rob Jones asked questions as well of the home defence with a shot from distance going over. Before switching flanks, Dylan Llewellyn looked a threat as he beat his man on the right hand side and forcing a recovering defender to block for a corner. Kieran Miller’s delivery was accurate but a foul in the box meant that Llantwit could compose themselves and reset the play for now.

Dylan Thomas and Dylan Llewellyn were linking up again around the 25 minute mark with a shot from 20 yards out saved in goal comfortably by Llantwit’s Jack Lansdown. Minutes later Llewellyn was on the end of another ball sprayed across the park. A cross fired in low looked like a tap in was on the cards but Kyran Gardner was there to get a vital touch and put the ball over his own bar.

The early PTT pressure hadn’t paid off and the away side made them regret the missed chances by taking the lead. Rob Jones was there on the far side and lifts the ball over Harris from the narrowest of angles to put the Major 1 goal up.

Following another Port Talbot corner, Watts tested with a header and up the other end there were chances with Josh Jones missing from close range and Anthony Rawlings also coming close. Goalscorer Rob Jones was on point once more capitalising on a defensive error but going just wide of the mark this time around.

The first red card of the game came just at the end of half time. Major’s Kristian Evans picked up his marching orders for reckless challenge on Dylan Llewellyn. Luckily Llewellyn was able to get up and continue with the game.

Port Talbot started the stronger of the two sides in the second half with Blake Morgan working well to collect the ball in the final third of the pitch. Morgan managed to get in between the two central defenders but unable to make full connection with his shot which was saved easily by Lansdown in goal.

Jandir Zola struck from distance as well as the blues began to get frustrated with the way the game was panning help and was not helped as Llantwit Major grabbed their second goal of the game. Former blue Anthony Rawlings gained possession of the ball on the edge of the area, turned his man and coolly slotted the ball home in to the bottom corner to put the Major two goals to the good.

Llantwit however saw red once again with Jonathan Butler this time sent off. PTT were now up against 9 men for the remaining 20 minutes of the game but chances were few and far between most notably from Keane Watts and Jandir Zola.

The double was done as the ref blew for full time as league new boys Llantwit Major came away from Victoria Road with a deserved victory.

Port Talbot Town now take on AFC Ammanford at Victoria Road this Saturday due to Penybont’s Welsh Cup commitments. Kick off remains at 2:00pm and will be the final game of the Victoria Road triple header.


Date Time League Season
November 10, 2018 2:00 pm Welsh Football League Division One 2018/2019


Port Talbot Town0
Llantwit Major2