Comfortable Victory For Cardiff City

Port Talbot Town 0-3 Cardiff City

Port Talbot Town suffered a 3-0 defeat to their Championship opponents in this pre-season friendly although they had chances at the other end but failed to get past the visiting keeper. A crowd of over 750 saw Port Talbot name a strong side although captain Matthew Rees was missing through work commitments.

Cardiff put the home side under early pressure with the pace off Matt Green upfront a test for defenders Lee Surman and Craig Hanford while Wales International Paul Parry created problems for Dyfan Pierce out wide. Cardiff took an early lead when Premiership target Aaron Ramsey scored his first goal for the club and the side almost doubled their advantage minutes later. Port Talbot responded well however and Chad Bond forced Cardiff keeper Michael Oakes to make a fine save from his volley midway through the opening half. A generous decision from referee Phil Southall awarded Cardiff a free-kick on the edge of the area close to half-time and striker Jason Byrne placed his shot past Tony Pennock to double the lead for the visitors.

Port Talbot started brightly in the second half and Chad Bond had a great chance to reduce the deficit but his looping effort drifted wide of the post. Martin Rose also found himself in more space than the opening half but he failed to hit the target with his efforts on goal. Cardiff completed the scoring when Matt Green headed home from close range to seal a comfortable result for Cardiff City although Port Talbot will take a number of positives form the match after another organised performance.

1st August 2007 – Terry Philips, South Wales Echo
Parry shows he’s ready for team battle

Paul Parry led Cardiff City’s charge for first team places in last night’s pre-season match at the Re/Max Stadium. Right-winger Parry caused hosts Port Talbot major problems and he set up Cardiff’s first and last goals against the Principality Welsh Premier League team. He is facing major competition for a starting place in City’s Championship team, but showed last night he is prepared to battle for his place. Parry set up Cardiff’s first when he cut the ball back low from the right for 16-year-old Aaron Ramsey to fire into the net from 15 yards. Jason Byrne made it 2-0 from a free-kick just outside the area after 41 minutes and then, with 70 minutes gone, Parry crossed for Matt Green to score with a flying header from 15 yards.

Skipper Darren Purse led a Cardiff starting team which included nine players with first team experience plus trainees Anthony Acheamponmg and Bradley Middleton in defence. It looks certain that only one of the players on duty has a chance of starting against Stoke City in the opening Championship match and that is central defender Purse. He was out of sorts at Stockport County on Saturday and was far from his best against Port Talbot, but he will benefit from playing two full matches in four days. The players who stood out for Cardiff City at Port Talbot were Ramsey – the teenage midfield player was excellent, he always seemed to be available – Green – a teenage striker with genuine pace and a cutting edge – Kevin Cooper – busy, neat and tidy, rarely gave the ball away was always available and spread the ball wide – Byrne – scored his first goal of the season with a sweetly taken free-kick, whipping his shot around the defensive wall and low into the corner – and Parry – full of running down the flanks and set up two of Cardiff’s goals.

1st August 2007 – South Wales Echo
Green lauds Ramsey after City victory

Matt Green paid tribute to teenage midfield player Aaron Ramsey after Cardiff City’s 3-0 win at Port Talbot last night. Both Green and Ramsey scored for the Bluebirds during an emphatic victory at the Re/Max Stadium. “Aaron’s a terrific player and he showed what he is about tonight,” said Green. “He is fantastic for his age and he’s capable of playing at the highest levels.” Striker Green partnered Jason Byrne in the Cardiff attack and said: “Both Jason and I combined pretty well. “When one of us was challenging for high balls the other gambled and made their run.

It worked pretty well and we both scored goals.” City coach Paul Wilkinson was also delighted with Ramsey’s performance and said: “Aaron played above his years in midfield. He’s been in and around the first team this season and also went to Portugal on the pre-season tour. “That experience has been invaluable. But maybe the biggest factor is that he has looked comfortable. Paul Parry created the first goal for Aaron and the third goal which Matt Green scored. Matt deserved that goal because he worked hard. His partnership with Jason Byrne worked well against Port Talbot and that was good to see.”