Challenge Cup Win Over Neath

Port Talbot Town 2-1 Neath

Competition for places in the Port Talbot Town starting line-up stepped up a gear following this Challenge Cup derby win as manager Mark Jones started with just four of the team that defeated Elements Cefn Druids at the weekend. Kendall, Surman, John and McCreesh were joined by new signings Boslem, Grist, Jones and Holland while Phillips, Bansor and Thompson were also handed places in the starting line-up.

Port Talbot started the better of the two sides and maintained their superiority for the majority of the match as visiting goalkeeper Wyn Walters struggled to defend a series of opening half corners while Neath struggled even further to make any sort of impression on the match at the other end of the field. After an impressive pre-season Nicky Holland thrived on his competitive debut and caused a number of problems for Neath as they failed to make any sort of stance on the match and it was Holland who would make the breakthrough for manager Mark Jones side as he capitalised on a loose ball in the area within minutes of the start of the second half to hand his side a more than deserved lead. Port Talbot remained dominant in defence with Lee Kendall more than aware to the few balls that passed the new defensive pairing of Bansor and Surman as Neath became more and more frustrated at their lack of influence on the game. Mark Jones strengthened his team as the match continued with the introduction of Martin Rose, Scott Barrow and Drew Fahiya and it was Rose who would claim the second goal of the game as he finished off a fine move on the left with a well-taken goal after 82 minutes.

With Port Talbot cruising to a derby victory Neath were able to catch the side off-guard as substitute Rob Spendiff lifted the ball of Lee Kendall from the edge of the area to offer his side a chance of taking something from the match. It would prove too little, too late for Neath however as Port Talbot battled hard for the remainder of the match to claim a deserved win over their local rivals.  

Loosemores Solicitors Challenge Cup Grp One

Tuesday, 18th August 2009

at The GenQuip Stadium, Port Talbot

Port Talbot Town 2-1 Neath


Port Talbot Town

Nicky Holland (47 minutes)

Martin Rose (82 minutes)


Rob Spendiff (88 minutes)

Referee – Mr Brian James

Port Talbot Town

Team – Lee Kendall, Andy Boslem, Lloyd Grist, Gareth Phillips, Gary Bansor, Lee Surman, Lee John, Matthew Thompson, Mark Jones, Liam McCreesh, Nicky Holland

Subs – Drew Fahiya (rep McCreesh – 80), Martin Rose (rep Jones – 74), Scott Barrow (rep John – 68), Sam Baker (Unused)

Yellow Cards – Gareth Phillips (41), Mark Jones (62) Red Cards – None

Goalscorers – Nicky Holland (47), Martin Rose (82)


Team – Wyn Walters, Carlos Costan, Richard Ingram, Rob Folland, Ian Hillier, Ashley Evans, Stephen Pockett, Luke Morgan, Craig Steins, Steve Davey, Carl Shaw

Subs – Sean Cronin (Unused), Liam Hancock (Unused), Dale Evans (rep Morgan – 68), Rob Spendiff (rep Davey – 55), Liam Thomas (rep Shaw – 68)

Yellow Cards – Ian Hillier (61), Dale Evans (90) Red Cards – None

Goalscorers – Rob Spendiff (88)

Attendance – 182