Burns Road Ramblings: Where we stand after Matchday 1

Port Talbot Town 0-0 Bala Town: Where we stand after Matchday 1

Following a strong goalless draw against Bala Town at the Genquip Stadium, the Blues end up ranked 8th in the Welsh Premier League after Matchday 1. On a day that has seen a number of big results in Wales’ top-flight, Port Talbot sit at the lower side of the table.

It’s early days but some results are already giving early indications as to what sides are going to feature at the top of the table going forward this campaign. TNS’ 4-0 win over Haverfordwest is a likely indicator that they will be in the running for the Welsh Premier League title again this year, along with Airbus who also won in impressive fashion.

Port Talbot’s next league match will see them visit Bangor City next Saturday. Bangor succombed to a 1-1 draw at local rivals Rhyl on Friday in a match that for the most part was a very tight affair. The Blues have a challenge ahead of them to work their way up the table but as Llandudno have already shown this season – anything can happen in the WPL.

A look around the grounds

Matchday 1 of the 2015/2016 Dafabet Welsh Premier League season saw a number of upsets and big shocks across the division. Airbus, TNS and Llandudno are leading the pack early on following positive results in their first round of matches.

Airbus racked up an impressive 5-1 win over Carmarthen Town, a Matty McGinn free kick from far out opened the scoring after three minutes, with Mark Jones levelling the affair for the Old Gold on the half hour mark. The Wingmakers smashed four goals into the Carmarthen net in a ten minute period before the half-time break to secure a strong start to their season.

League champions TNS hit home with a 4-0 thumping over newly-promoted Haverfordwest County, two goals from Alex Darlington as well as Chris Seargeant and Greg Draper ensured the Oswestry-based outfit a solid win.

S4C’s live TV game saw Llandudno overcome a strong Aberyswyth side to secure a 3-2 victory on their first ever game in the Welsh Premier League.

In other matches, Friday night saw Rhyl welcome Bangor City to the Corbett Sports Stadium for a much anticipated North Wales derby. A whopping crowd of 1217 saw both teams tie at 1-1 after a late Rhyl leveller with just minutes left of the clash.

Newtown secured a 2-0 victory over GAP Connah’s Quay following a Neil Mitchell goal on 19 minutes and a Paul Linwood own goal after the half-time break.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.