Bridgend Friendly Win

Bridgend Town 0-1 Port Talbot Town

Manager Mark Jones fielded a strong side for this friendly match against Welsh League Bridgend Town who themselves named a number of experienced players in their squad.

New signing Neil Thomas made his debut in midfield and impressed with a solid performance while Daniel Thomas was also offered a starting role by Jones who was without the unavailable Drew Fahiya, Gareth Phillips, Leigh De-Vulgt and recent signing Mark Jones. Bridgend named former Port Talbot Town defender Craig Lima in their starting line-up and he stuck close to striker Martin Rose throughout the opening half as both sides adjusted to the artificial surface in the early exchanges. Former Goytre United and Afan Lido defender Ian Turner also started for Bridgend as well as former Port Talbot Town winger Hayden Fleming and former Merthyr midfielder Grant Thomas while Welsh Premier League goalscoring legend Chris Summers led the frontline. Port Talbot came the closest of the two sides in the opening half with Neil Thomas, Lee Surman, Martin Rose, Matthew Rees, Scott Barrow and Lee John all coming close to beating the in-form Bridgend keeper while at the other end Kristian Rogers performed when needed in response to the occasional counter-attack.

Jones made a few changes to his side during the second half with another recent signing Lloyd Grist joining two impressive trialists. Port Talbot took a deserved lead on 50 minutes when Martin Rose made space for himself in the area before slotting the ball past the advancing keeper and came to close to adding a second and a third in the following 15 minutes. The score remained 1-0 however as the rain became heavier before referee Brian James signalled for full time as Port Talbot claimed a comfortable victory from an entertaining friendly match.

Pre-Season Friendly

Tuesday, 14th July 2009

at The University Playing Fields, Treforest.

Bridgend Town 0-1 Port Talbot Town


Port Talbot Town

Martin Rose (50 minutes)

Bridgend Town


Attendance – 58

Referee – Mr Brian James