Blues Bumped Up To Third

Port Talbot Town 2-1 Newtown

Midfielder Karl Lewis was originally named in the starting line-up for this crucial Principality Welsh Premier League but suffered an injury in the warm-up and was replaced by Gareth Phillips. Both sides went into the match looking for maximum points and it was Newtown who had the better of the opening exchanges as they pressured the home defence straight from the kick off.

Former Port Talbot Town midfielder Dyan Blain was included in the visitors line-up and he created an early chance for Paul Roberts but he could not hit the target. Port Talbot soon settled into the match and started to retain possession in a physical opening half but were reduced to ten men after 30 minutes when Neil Thomas was shown a straight red card for an elbow. Port Talbot continued to push forward and five minutes later an attacking run on the left from Daniel Thomas enabled him to create enough space to cross the ball to the near post for Martin Rose to open the scoring from close range. Further incidents followed as referee Brian James and his assistants became the centre of attention before the break but within minutes of the second half Port Talbot doubled their advantage when Matthew Rees headed a Scott Barrow free-kick into the net.

Port Talbot continued to dominate with a two goal advantage and twice hit the top of the crossbar through long range efforts from Scott Barrow and Martin Rose. Newtown were restricted to long range efforts but with the game moving into injury time Lee Kendall committed a foul in the area to award the visitors a penalty. Paul Roberts stepped up and made no mistake from the spot to bring his side back into the game but within a minute of the re-start referee James brought the game to a close to move Port Talbot Town into third place and leave Newtown outside of a place in the top twelve.

Principality Welsh Premier League

Wednesday, 13th April 2010

at The GenQuip Stadium, Port Talbot

Port Talbot Town 2-1 Newtown


Port Talbot Town

Martin Rose (35)

Matthew Rees (49)


Paul Roberts (90) (p)

Referee – Mr Brian James

Port Talbot Town

Team – Lee Kendall, Leigh De-Vulgt, Scott Barrow, Gareth Phillips, Matthew Rees, Lee Surman, Lee John, Neil Thomas, Martin Rose, Liam McCreesh, Daniel Thomas

Subs – Lloyd Grist (Unused), Drew Fahiya (Unused), Matthew Thompson (rep John – 89), Josh Wonnacott (Unused), Chris Silva (Unused)

Yellow Cards – None Red Cards – Neil Thomas (30)

Goalscorers – Martin Rose (35), Matthew Rees (49)


Team – Dave Jones, Craig Williams, Adam Worton, Craig Hutchinson, Gavin Cadwallader, Andrew Thomas, Callum Wright, Dylan Blain, Paul Roberts, Ross Stephens, Neil Mitchell

Subs – Damien Daniels (rep Stephens – 21), Robbie James (rep Williams – 80), Andrew Webb (Unused), Dan Dawson (rep Wright – 51), Tyrone McFadden (Unused)

Yellow Cards – Paul Roberts (33), Damien Daniels (48), Gavin Cadwallader (50), Craig Hutchinson (63)

Red Cards – None

Goalscorers – Paul Roberts (90) (p)

Attendance – 176