Blast from the past: Port Talbot 7-0 Cefn Druids 2009/2010

Port Talbot Town 7-0 Cefn Druids – Genquip Stadium

Kick off: 7.30pm – Date: Tuesday, February 16 2010 – Attendance: 127

Port Talbot Town’s 2009/2010 season sticks in the memory of any Blues fan for a number of reasons. The Blues secured their highest league finish in Welsh Premier League history – finishing 3rd following a goalless draw against Bala Town on the final day of the season.

Just a week later, the boys were back in action at Parc-y-Scarlets, losing to Bangor City in Welsh Cup final after going to extra-time. The season also saw the Blues earn their first ever appearance in the UEFA Europa League – playing FC Turku of Finland over two legs that summer.

After spending the majority of the campaign sitting in the higher-echelons of the league, Mark Jones’ men went into their Tuesday night clash against Cefn Druids looking for a win to further their dream of securing a European spot.

The match started as a quiet affair, with both sides enjoying equal shares of possession until Daniel Thomas hit the scoresheet on 36 minutes when is volley into the box hit took an unexpected turn into the Cefn Druids net, zipping past Mullock in the away goal.

Lee John doubled the Blues’ lead just three minutes later, cutting-in past the visiting defence before slotting a neat effort past through Mullock’s legs.

Liam McCreesh struck the scoresheet just before half-time, when a Gareth Phillips effort rebound off the crossbar with McCreesh producing a cool tap-in to make it 3-0.

McCreesh picked up another just before the half-time whistle, when a punched clearance from Mullock failed to clear much distance – with the Blues midfielder hitting the back of the net to see the Steelmen enter the break with a four-goal lead over their visitors.

The Blues ran away with the tie in the second-half, when Daniel Thomas hit home on 46 minutes before netting a second ten minutes later.

The seventh goal of the match came on 72 minutes when a Matthew Rees header hit the post, allowing for Lee John to score on the rebound.

A series of substitutions for both sides followed, and despite an attempt at a comeback from the visitors – the Blues held onto an impressive seven-goal cleansheet to further cement their place at the top-end of the Welsh Premier League.

After picking up three-points against Cefn Druids, Mark Jones’ men carried momentum into their next match against Welshpool – beating them 3-0 at the Genquip Stadium.