Blast from the past: Port Talbot 5-1 Newtown 2007/2008

Port Talbot Town 5-1 Newtown – Remax Stadium

Kick off: 2.30pm – Date: Saturday, August 25 2007 – Attendance: 224

The Blues visit Newtown on Saturday afternoon in a Welsh Premier League fixture that is crucial for both sides, Andy Dyer’s men haven’t enjoyed much success over their mid-Wales counterparts in recent seasons, but looking back through the history books – this fixture has seen a few interesting scoresheets over the years.

A trip down to south for Darren Ryan’s Newtown ended in distater, not long after having to rebuild his squad from the groundup following a catalouge of departures during the summer.

The Blues’ record of never having suffered a Welsh Premiership home defeat to Newtown remained intact, with former Swansea City winger Kerry Morgan making his debut for Port Talbot on-loan from the Liberty Stadium, fresh off the back of a loan spell at Swedish outfit Östersunds FK.

Port Talbot began the game in a comfortable manner, dominating the majority of possession and coming close to breaking the deadlock on a number of occasions.

Liam McCreesh saw a fierce shot blocked by goalkeeper Ian Havard early on, before a Craig Hanford cross provoked a last-ditch effort from the Newtown goalkeeper.

The breakthrough arrived on 39 minutes after Lee Surman’s cross was deflected behind by Kevin Scott. Leigh De-Vulgt flighted the corner in and Surman connected with a quality header for his first goal at home for the Steelmen.

The Blues were celebrating again two minutes before the break when a mistimed clearance by former Caersws defender Hugh Clarke struck colleague Danny Jellicoe to deflect the ball into the run of Martin Rose, who reacted instantly to sweep the ball home from 12 yards.

Within a minute Newtown almost moved off the mark, only for Blues goalkeeper Kristian Rogers to produce a point-blank save and push over the top a fierce shot from skipper Glenn Tolley.

Port Talbot increased their lead five minutes into the second half when McCreesh sent a through ball for Rose to pounce on and drill in from the edge of the penalty area.

Their domination proved fruitful once more when a break forward saw Dylan Blain net a quality goal with a rising shot that flew beyond Havard.

Newtown opened their account in the 75th minute; Tolley sent the ball into the path of Lloyd-Williams who slotted home, but by then the damage was already done for the visitors.

On-loan Swansea City winger Kerry Morgan sealed the three-points for his side with just seconds of stoppage time remaining, to secure his first Port Talbot goal – and on his debut an’ all.

Saturday’s away clash at Newtown kicks off at 2.30pm. Live coverage will be available on the Port Talbot Town Twitter. Supporters coach travel is also available.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.