Archers reclaim top spot with resounding victory

Courtesy of Lewis Sharpe writing for Y Clwb Pel Droed

Featured Image: Carl Robertson

Full Match Replay: Cardiff Met TV

Cardiff Met. Uni. Women 4-0 Port Talbot Town Women

Cardiff Metropolitan go top of the league with a comfortable victory against Port Talbot Town.

Goals from Shannon Evans, Chloe O’Connor and Ellie Preece gave the Archers the all-important three points as they title hopes intensify. A single goal difference separate the Archers with Swansea City. The Swans do, however, have a game in hand on Met. Port Talbot will remain in fourth place with the defeat after Cardiff City claimed a 3-1 victory over Port Talbot Town Ladies.

Met started brightly, as Evans came close to opening the scoring in the first minute. Her attempt from the edge of the box smashed off the underside of the crossbar before Port Talbot cleared. Evans provided Amy Long with a pin-point ball into the box, but the latter’s tame effort was saved by Vicky Beddows at ease. The hosts’ attacking dominance continued as quick-feet on the right by Long allowed the midfielder to make space before providing a cross to Robyn Pinder, whose attempt was denied by the goalkeeper.

Long and Evans linked up once again, with the former finding the latter unmarked in the six-yard-box. Evans’ attempt was blocked off the line and out for a corner. From the resulting corner, Evans’ header flew wide of the post. Evans made up for missed chances as she calmly converted after being played through fantastically by Long. Port Talbot’s first attempt came on the half hour mark, with Courtney Thomas firing wide from range.

Evans was denied of doubling her tally after being found unmarked in the box by Amber Roberts, but her headed attempt was cleared off the line. Similar to the first half, it took seconds of the second half for Evans to get another chance. Long played a ball into the box from the left-hand side but Evans volleyed wide. The Steelwomen started the second half strongly, with Maisie Miller and Jesci Hare unsuccessful when trying their luck from far. They came close to equalising once again, as Thomas and Laura May-Walkley linked up to create a chance for Thomas, but her attempt was saved by Annabel Sweeney.

Attacking duo Elianna Chavez and Ellie Preece almost had an instant impact after being introduced. Chavez played Preece through, whose shot was saved by Vicky Beddows. Chavez was unable to pick up the pieces. The lead was doubled when midfielder O’Connor got her ninth of the season with a composed finish after being played on goal by Pinder. Chavez offered energy to Met after being brought on, and her attempt from outside the box tested Vicky Beddows. Preece made it three as she calmly rolled the ball past the goalkeeper before finishing comfortably. The victory was ensured as O’Connor secured her brace after getting on the end of a Chavez cross.

Cardiff Metropolitan: Annabel Sweeney, Lucy Finch, Hannah Mills, Stephanie Turner (C) (Ellena Finneran 79’), Sophie Hancocks, Amy Long (Kennesha Nanette 86’), Robyn Pinder, Chloe O’Connor, Amber Roberts, Shannon Evans (Elianna Chavez 59’), Emily Richards (Ellie Preece 59’). 

Goals: Shannon Evans (23’), Chloe O’Connor (67’, 88′), Ellie Preece (78’)

Port Talbot: Vicky Beddows, Laura May-Walkley, Terri Beddows, Chelsey Harris (C), Jesci Hare, Rachael Ball, Courtney Thomas, Jess Hammett, Lauren Amor (Jodie Paasmore 62’), Jess Denscombe, Maisie Miller.