Another Friendly Win For PTT On The Road

West End 1-2 Port Talbot Town

Drew Fahiya made his first appearance of pre-season for Port Talbot Town in this match and made an immediate impression with a number of early runs forward and efforts on goal against newly-promoted Welsh League Division One side West End. Manager Mark Jones made a couple of enforced changes to his side with striker Martin Rose as well as new signing and namesake Mark Jones both unavailable while local midfield duo Liam McCreesh and Karl Lewis also missed the match. Port Talbot started the better of the two sides with Fahiya and Daniel Thomas causing problems for the West End defensive pairing of Daniel Kavanagh and former Port Talbot Town defender Gary Davies but the side were unable to turn their dominance into goals and the home side began to ask questions of their own.

The opening goal was scored on 29 minutes when a break from West End allowed a dangerous cross to be headed past Kristian Rogers to hand the home side the lead. New signing Nicky Holland made an appearance from the bench at the break and worked tirelessly on the right of midfield but it was Fahiya who levelled the score when he found himself in space inside the area to score past another former Port Talbot Town player in goalkeeper Gareth Scantlebury who came on at half-time for West End.

As the home side tired, Port Talbot continued to push forward and young striker Sam Baker made a welcome return to action midway through the second half and made an important contribution to the game. With Port Talbot pushing forward for the winner, substitute Holland found himself in space to grab the all important second goal on 80 minutes and could have added a third shortly after but his close range effort drifted wide. West End worked hard until the end but failed to cause Rogers too many problems as Port Talbot claimed their second victory of their pre-season programme.

Pre-Season Friendly

Tuesday, 21st July 2009

at Pryderi Park, Swansea.

West End 1-2 Port Talbot Town


Port Talbot Town

Drew Fahiya (51 minutes)

Nicky Holland (80 minutes)

Attendance – 84

Referee – Mr Viv Neddin