Aber Get Back To Winning Ways

Aberystwyth Town 2-1 Port Talbot Town

With defenders Matthew Rees and Lee Surman suspended and Gary Bansor unavailable, manager Mark Jones was force to make a number of changes to team as Karl Lewis and Leigh De-Vulgt stepped into the centre of defence with Nicky Holland starting the match at right back. Chances were few and far between for both sides in the opening exchanges with the first notable opportunity resulting in the opening goal of the game.

Aberystwyth pushed forward and Luke Bowen was able to direct his header into the path of Ryan Fraughan who made no mistake to score past goalkeeper Lee Kendall after 20 minutes. Port Talbot started to come into the match and forced a couple of corners before a controversial incident on the edge of the area. Drew Fahiya found himself one-on-one with Aberystwyth goalkeeper Stephen Cann and as he made his way past the advancing keeper Cann brought him down on the edge of the area. Referee Wayne Tregonning awarded a free-kick but only showed Cann a yellow card when a red would have been justified.

Martin Rose then came close to levelling the scores with a header that went over the bar before the break. Port Talbot Town made a double substitution at half-time with Lee John and Matthew Thompson replacing Drew Fahiya and Karl Lewis respectively. Neil Thomas dropped back into defence as Port Talbot played a more attacking game and Cann was called into action to make a close range save from Liam McCreesh. The introduction of Daniel Thomas offered Port Talbot Town an extra attacking option as he replaced Leigh De-Vulgt on 68 minutes as the visitors pushed forward in numbers and pulled a goal back on 78 minutes as Liam McCreesh headed the ball past Cann from close range. Port Talbot continued to push forward for an equaliser but were denied by some desperate defending from the home side before the referee brought the game to a close.

12th February 2010 – www.atfc.org.uk

Match Report

After a couple of disappointing performances, the Black and Greens started well, playing at a high tempo and keeping the ball moving nicely. There were few real chances in the first period, but then on 20 minutes Luke Bowen headed on a ball into the box and Ryan Fraughan pounced from ten yards to give the hosts a deserved lead. Aber were defending stoutly and denying Talbot anything but half chances, but they did have a let off on the half hour when Steve Cann brought down Drew Fahiya just outside the area and was relieved to see only a yellow card. Martin Rose headed a chance over the bar for the visitors but theirs was a tepid first half display.

Port Talbot made two half time substitutions, and started the second half stronger. Cann made a miraculous instinctive save from Liam McCreesh’s close range header, at a time when it seemed like the next goal would be crucial. Clear cut chances were again at a premium, but in front of a passionate Dias Stand, Aber gained the vital second on 69 minutes when Lee Kendall’s error allowed Luke Sherbon to play in Luke Bowen, and he blasted home, again from close range. Port Talbot finished the game very strongly, and it was no surprise when with 12 minutes to go Rose headed on Daniel Thomas’ long throw and McCreesh headed home. There followed a nervous final period, with seven minutes of added time, but the Boys in Black and Green held on for a famous home win.

Principality Welsh Premier League

Friday, 12th February 2010

at Park Avenue, Aberystwyth

Aberystwyth Town 2-1 Port Talbot Town


Aberystwyth Town

Ryan Fraughan (20)

Luke Bowen (69)

Port Talbot Town

Liam McCreesh (78)

Referee – Mr Wayne Tregonning

Aberystwyth Town

Team – Stephen Cann, Steven Bowen, Gareth Hughes, Aneurin Thomas, Sion James, Conall Murtagh, Geoff Kellaway, Bari Morgan, Luke Bowen, Luke Sherbon, Ryan Fraughan

Subs – Cledan Davies (rep Fraughan – 82), Graham Evans (rep Bowen – 90), Christian Edwards (rep Kellaway – 87), Tom Bowen (Unused), Liam Button (Unused)

Yellow Cards – Aneurin Thomas (51), Luke Sherbon (62), Gareth Hughes (72), Ryan Fraughan (77)

Red Cards – None

Goalscorers – Ryan Fraughan (20), Luke Bowen (69)

Port Talbot Town

Team – Lee Kendall, Leigh De-Vulgt, Lloyd Grist, Karl Lewis, Nicky Holland, Gareth Phillips, Scott Barrow, Neil Thomas, Martin Rose, Liam McCreesh, Drew Fahiya

Subs – Daniel Thomas (rep De-Vulgt – 68), Lee John (rep Fahiya – 46), Matthew Thompson (rep Lewis – 46)

Yellow Cards – Gareth Phillips (10) – Red Cards – None

Goalscorers – Liam McCreesh (78)

Attendance – 388